Thread: Anxiety while on holiday

Unhappy Anxiety while on holiday

Hi

For the past 7 years I have had really bad experiences of anxiety while away on holiday. I can be in the most lovely places and it should be a perfect time of relaxation but I just want to get home as quickly as possible and panick and feel ill until I get home and find that everything is still the same. I worry constantly that something bad will happen while away and that I can't do anything about it. Once I'm home I kick myself for not enjoying the time. Believe it or not I used to work for a travel agent and holidays where my main hobby flying here and there at the drop of an hat and loving every minute. My first panic attack happened while I was a away years ago, I had been suffereing from anxiety and thought everything will be fine when I'm away - it wasn't, it was horrendous and I've hated holidays ever since. Does anyone have any advice on this I'm off to Spain tomorrow (just for 3 days) so I'm not too worried about this one but my boyfriend wants us to book a 2 week holiday in May and the thought of it makes me feel sick and ill. I want to get excited about it and relax and my sane mind tells me that's exactly what I should do but the other part of me gets very anxious. It's not even the flying that scares me (although this has got worse and I do sit for days wondering if the plane will crash)it's the not being able to get home.

Please help

Re: Anxiety while on holiday

I've felt like this at times too, worse sometimes than others. At the moment my husband's away, I couldn't go because of work, but inside I'm sort of pleased because I didn't have to face going away. I could really do with a holiday, but don't know what to do about going away. I might be alright, I've been alot better generally, but don't know how I'd cope with being away from home. Does your boyfriend know how you feel? Maybe you could go somewhere in Britain so that you don't feel so much like you can't get home.

I feel just like this. My problem is heat (especially sightseeing) and panicking in the night and then getting exhausted. I am making a holiday "panic" list of items to put in my suitcase with my "Don't Panic Ted is here" Teddy! for my next trip. I am going to put my Hypnotherapy tapes in to help me sleep, aromatherapy oils, paper bag to breathe into. I am also going to write a list of things for my husband to say to me as I lose any rational thinking. I think I need to make sure I still get some relaxation on holiday - it's tempting to do too much sightseeing and I need to be more assertive about my needs.
    I really sympathise because you look forward to your holiday and I think your expectations make it worse when you feel dreadful. I will be thinking of you - you are not alone in this.
    Let me know how you get on and hopefully we can help each other with ideas

We didn't do holidays last year as I couldn't face it. I feel so sick when it's time to go and whilst away I can't get back any feeling of being ok.

Several years ago I had an accident on hols and ended up in hospital. So my fear probably isn't helped by that.

If anyone has any techniques - please post them here!

Thread Information