Thread: Therapy when well 'ish'

Therapy when well 'ish'

I've been finding my therapy quite difficult to connect with now that I'm Well 'ish' and in meeting with my Talking Therapist there is less to talk about where fact and fiction need to be challenged. I have anxiety but my anxiety isn't such that I have the levels of catastrophy thinking that I used to have. We have begun to talk much more in metaphor and I guess in much more 'Goal' driven terms now which as I'm not a greasy pole climber I find it harder to engage with.

Also talking with folks online I have found that Therapists seem to come from all number of modalities ~ Rogerian, Cognitive Behavioural, Psychodynamic, Gestalt, Transpersonal, Hypnotherapy and Biodynamic

I don't really understand that but I know that it means that the way of getting results and interpreting a clients current state changes with those modalities. Is it possible that when Well 'ish' I need to find a different approach ?

Re: Therapy when well 'ish'

I find Therapists more a case of a prop and I call mine; 'An Expensive Friend'.
    I don't think they can cure you, but can help you along the way to recovery.
    The only person that can cure you, is you! Admittedly, if there are added pressures of stress and trauma or illness or even all three; then recovery will take longer.

I had a 6 month break from my Therapist and felt I needed that prop again and even changed my Therapist, which turned out to be better for me.
    I don't die because she goes on holiday or miss a week or two and I also wondered whether I needed it in the first place.
    I think if you feel you need to talk to someone or are crippled with anxiety to the point of not living, then it is worth it.
    But in my case, an as and when situation suits me better.
    You could do that mezzaninedoor?

thanks Carnation

Forgotten to mention about the 'Goal' therapy discussions.

This seems to come in to play in all walks of life. :(
    Work, rehabilitation from hospital, recovering from an illness and of course therapy.
    My opinion is; I HATE IT! It pushes people in to places that do not want to go or feel comfortable with. In work, it puts pressure on you and in health, it is just not real and half the time, does not work. If you don't reach the goal, then are you a failure?
    My previous therapist was like this, but there are therapists who do not take this approach and I found one.
    So maybe you could change therapist on a monthly basis mezzaninedoor?

I like the idea that a Therapist is an expensive friend.
    It's interesting as as I have become more comfortable talking about my mental health, I have engaged in conversations with my inexpensive friends ( cost of a pint at pub ) regards my mental health challenges.
    I still think I need to check in with my Talking Therapist, its just that there isn't an hours worth of material to discuss. Maybe I should ask if she will do half hours.

Maybe I should have a russian roulette wheel and spin for which Therapist i see each month !!!!

Thread Information