Thread: body temperature

body temperature

Hi all,

Sometimes when I am feeling anxious my body temperature rises (99.5 or so). I'm not talking about just the moments of a panic attack when it seems more obvious that that could happen.
    But just in days where I feel particularly edgy or jittery, I feel warm and like my skin is flushed.
    This of course does not do much to stave off my health anxiety or to quell the belief that something sinister is dwelling in my body.

Does anyone else experience this or know why it might happen?

Again it's not just in the throes of a bad panic attack, but it can come and go for days while I am feeling on edge.

Any "me too"s would be so appreciated.

-Dora

Re: body temperature

Dora, why are you taking your
    temperature?

Mine runs a little high. 99 degrees or thereabouts.
    I work with small children, and when taking their temps, I frequently take mine also, to make sure the thermometer is working properly.
    Mine is usually higher than theirs.
    I'm 44 & healthy all my life, as far as I know.
    Some people run higher (and I've heard when women are ovulating, they will run a full degree or more higher than normal).

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Dora, why are you taking your
    temperature?
    Because my health anxiety kicks in and I get scared! ha! When I feel warm and flushed and know I am anxious, I sometimes put the thermometer in, thinking "is this anxiety or am I SICK???"

My "normal" is normal (or sometimes even a titch below).

I just find it odd that while I am anxious, my body temperature rises. And I've yet to find someone who experiences the same or yet to tell a doctor that says "yes that happens"

: /

Quote Originally Posted by DoraFlora View Post
    Because my health anxiety kicks in and I get scared! ha! When I feel warm and flushed and know I am anxious, I sometimes put the thermometer in, thinking "is this anxiety or am I SICK???"

My "normal" is normal (or sometimes even a titch below).

I just find it odd that while I am anxious, my body temperature rises. And I've yet to find someone who experiences the same or yet to tell a doctor that says "yes that happens"

: /
    Dora.. we risk more anxiety by frequently checking stats on our body functions that have NORMAL fluctuations.

Your temp is the lowest in the morning, higher when you exercise or eat, if your a woman it's lower the first half of you menstrual cycle and up to 1 full degree higher (or more) the second half of your cycle.

We have extremely normal fluctuations in our body temperature, weight, blood pressure, blood sugar, and a whole host of other functions. You'll drive yourself crazy checking.

That said ... I have been charting my basal temperature for several years tracking my hormones through perimenopause... my average early morning temperature is 96.5. With the highest being 97 and the lowest being in the 95 range.

Please don't drive yourself crazy checking normal body functions that have NORMAL fluctuations.

Thread Information