Thread: Do I have social anxiety when it comes to relationships?

Do I have social anxiety when it comes to relationships?

So I'm 18 and I've been in a few meaningless relationships. They were quite a few years ago and ever really meant much. I was quite shy in them (3 all together) but not as bad as I am now. Before I was emotianally attached, I enjoyed affection and craved it. I guess I still do crave affection to an extent, but then when I actually think about a guy giving me affection and stuff I just find it so strange. I don't know why but these recent years I've just become cold and emotionally detached. Me and this guy both like each other but for some reason I'm way too scared for a relationship. On text I'm a lot more confident and we constantly have interesting convos but then in person I sometimes just freak out and idek why. Some days I'm completely fine and then others I just don't know. I do think I have generalised anxiety disorder so that could have an impact. I guess when we were just friends I felt a lot more comfortable - but it's like now romance is involved I just can't deal with it. All the other relationships I had were meaningless and I wasn't hurt by them, so it's not a fear of being hurt. It's like I don't want to be vulnerable, yet I'm not scared of being open and getting hurt, it's just that I don't want to be open in the first place. I wonder if my parents divorce could have an effect on this? Although that was a number of years ago. It's just like I'm too scared for a normal conversation to happen, or just be in his presence, the thought of it scares me for some odd reason? I can attend social events and all that is fine, but then I freak out if he's there or if I know he will be there and no longer want to go. LOL what's wrong with me?!

Re: Do I have social anxiety when it comes to relationships?

Hi I know what you mean and right now the way I feel Iam not interested in romance for the opposite reasons to you as in incase I get hurt and let down again you see. So perhaps say you aren't ready for romance in any shape or form and you felt more comfortable as friends, if he respects you he should back off from the romance side of things for a while. See it as this eg. it's like a beautiful tree that comes in to leaf every year but will only blossom (comes in to flower when the time is right and not before!)
    If he doesn't accept it then maybe it's time to move on? Good luck Cheers

Thread Information