Thread: Managing without medication

Managing without medication

I've had anxiety for a long time and have been experiencing a dream like state for probably the last year. My memory is terrible and most things are done in 'autopilot' so to speak. I get no enjoyment from anything and feel like I have an emotional detachment from life.
    This had lead me to the presumption that I'm experiencing derealisation, I'm waiting for an assessment for counselling yet again. My doc did prescribe escitalopram but I managed a couple of days as I couldn't cope with the extreme anxiety.
    Has anyone found a way to manage without meds? Any tips for dealing with this would be Great.

Re: Managing without medication

I don't know why, but one day I kind of got tired and simply accepted these awful feelings and I gradually completely lost anxiety. Right as I am typing this, I feel no anxiety and some of my symptoms have faded or lessened. I still have symptoms like feeling not myself and feeling world is different and that fuzzy vision, but it is much better without anxiety. I seriously have no idea how I managed it, but you must try to accept your feelings and understand that you cannot do anything about them and that not panicking about them will help you tremendously. Also you could do some exercise such as running. Running itself has greatly helped me reduce anxiety.
    Also understanding what caused this (for most people it is childhood trauma that has caused this response) and processing the trauma (writing, analysing, forgiving your parents etc.) can completely eliminate symptoms.

I'm starting to exercise again, it would be nice just to have some moments of clarity in my day, from the moment I wake until I sleep I'm just so vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronoid View Post
    I'm starting to exercise again, it would be nice just to have some moments of clarity in my day, from the moment I wake until I sleep I'm just so vacant.
    It will get better I promise.
    Just try to distract yourself and DPDR will slowly come to the point where you can function almost normally.
    Also there is this thing called trauma procession that can completely eliminate this. What you need to do is write about your past trauma, since DPDR is most likely caused by mistreatment from your parents.

I've been trying to ignore my dp/dr but I've been poorly with a virus. This has made everything feel so much worse. Everything is so surreal and it's really getting me down. I've even contemplated whether I can continue like this. It's truly a horrible state to be in.

No
    lol

I've been trying to ignore my dp/dr but I've been poorly with a virus. This has made everything feel so much worse. Everything is so surreal and it's really getting me down. I've even contemplated whether I can continue like this. It's truly a horrible state to be in.
    Yes you can, things will get better. Life is worth living, no matter how bad it gets buddy. Hang in there.

I can say that after 2.5 months I feel lot better, like my life is no longer a struggle. It is still hard, however I do now have times of feeling good. So hang in there.

I know I sound desperate, which I am but I'm not going to do anything daft. Thanks for the concern though!
    I'd just like maybe an hour where I feel, dare I say it, normal. The most painful thing is that I have two young daughters and their lives are passing me by where I feel like I'm not enjoying or savouring their younger years.

I know I sound desperate, which I am but I'm not going to do anything daft. Thanks for the concern though!
    I'd just like maybe an hour where I feel, dare I say it, normal. The most painful thing is that I have two young daughters and their lives are passing me by where I feel like I'm not enjoying or savouring their younger years.
    Yes, I totally understand you. It is tought living with this awful thing, but it can go away and will. You need to fight it. You could seek help like from a good therapist for example. Trust me, the worst case is that you will just get used to it and the symptoms will reduce. And thast is only the worst case, so it is not so hard to even completely eliminate it. Trust me, in time you will get better and I am pretty sure you will beat it 100%.

Thread Information