Thread: Please read: Tonsil cancer fears again over one tonsil that has got bigger

Please read: Tonsil cancer fears again over one tonsil that has got bigger

I have always had one tonsil bigger than the other, much bigger. I've posted about tonsil cancer fears two or three times since I first noticed in 2010. However, when I was brushing my teeth this morning I think it looks like the tonsil has got even bigger at the top so that you can't really see any of the arched skin that connects to the uvula anymore and the uvula is virtually touching!!! I am seriously freaking out!

Do your tonsils grow and could just one change shape or get bigger? I have no pain or anything like that so not tonsillitis. I've been to docs a couple of times over the years about one being bigger than the other and they haven't said much beyond its probs just an individual difference. But niw im thinking the bigger one is noticeably bigger again than before, it so does not sound good does it when you talk about an asymmetry actually changing and becoming more so.....

I drink alcohol more than I should and this is a risk factor for this type of cancer. I'm 33
    Last edited by louise123_uk; 03-01-17 at 19:03.

Re: Please read: Tonsil cancer fears again over one tonsil that has got bigger

I have large tonsils apparently and there is nothing wrong - it is just how I am.

Yes they can grow and shrink over time.

I went to the dentist recently and he said my left tonsil was larger than the right one but wasn't concerned.

If you are worried see the dentist or doctor but it sounds like anything serious to me.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Tonsils can swell for many reasons, ranging from infection to irritation. Tonsil cancer is an extremely rare cancer, especially at your age.

See your doctor if you're worried but it's extremely unlikely to be anything at all to worry about.

Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to tell myself they have been unilateral for ages but I'm convinced the bigger one has got even bigger, isn't a change a worrying sign or can tonsils just do this

Quote Originally Posted by louise123_uk View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'm trying to tell myself they have been unilateral for ages but I'm convinced the bigger one has got even bigger, isn't a change a worrying sign or can tonsils just do this
    Did you read our replies?

Yes, they can just do this.

What we "perceive" is not necessarily "reality". I'm not doubting you think it's grown but I am suggesting your anxiety is amplifying your perception. We're asymmetrical by nature and it's not unusual to have this at all.

Serious question: Mind you, I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor, former smoker and drinker. Since this is a fear of yours and above moderate alcohol use (which you've posted about several times) is known to increase the risks of oral cancer, why are you still drinking? I see this of smokers too and it just baffles my mind

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's common for one to be bigger than the other. If you have no other symptoms then you don't need them removing. I had pain and discomfort (and a lot of anxiety) with my one enlarged tonsil so had both removed. It wasn't cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by louise123_uk View Post
    I have always had one tonsil bigger than the other, much bigger. I've posted about tonsil cancer fears two or three times since I first noticed in 2010. However, when I was brushing my teeth this morning I think it looks like the tonsil has got even bigger at the top so that you can't really see any of the arched skin that connects to the uvula anymore and the uvula is virtually touching!!! I am seriously freaking out!

Do your tonsils grow and could just one change shape or get bigger? I have no pain or anything like that so not tonsillitis. I've been to docs a couple of times over the years about one being bigger than the other and they haven't said much beyond its probs just an individual difference. But niw im thinking the bigger one is noticeably bigger again than before, it so does not sound good does it when you talk about an asymmetry actually changing and becoming more so.....

I drink alcohol more than I should and this is a risk factor for this type of cancer. I'm 33

I'm probably the wrong person to be reassuring you about this (right now I'm in a panic over a lymph node/ neck lump), but I've always has one enlarged tonsil. It is both enlarged and misshapen, probably from repeated childhood bouts of strep.
    I was surprised to read recently that asymmetrical tonsils could possibly indicate cancer. I got worried about that... for about fifteen minutes.
    Some people's have always been asymmetrical. Some people are born that way, other people have a tonsil swell up or become scarred from throat infections, and the tonsil never goes back to normal size.
    I'm just saying... cancer is an uncommon reason for one tonsil to be large and differently shaped. There are more common reasons, and I am positive the condition itself is not uncommon. Any time you get one of those "one-sided sore throats" (which for me is several times a year) you've got one swollen tonsil.
    Try not to worry excessively over this. Best wishes.

PS- 33 is not old enough to be in any "high risk" category (just wait ten years ), and it's certainly young enough to change your risk profile by cutting out things that put you at risk for diseases later in life (you mentioned one). Good luck.

Thread Information