Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shortness of breath...when is it anxiety and when not?

Shortness of breath...when is it anxiety and when not?

So I am sure like many sufferers with anxiety, especially the health variety, we have all dealt with shortness of breath or the inability to get a full breath.

I am curious if you have sort of devised any way to tell he difference between anxiety and someone more serious. I noticed I get a little short of breath after running up stairs, which would not be unusual, especially given I could stand to lose ten pounds and am pushing forty seven years old.

I have been working on the weight loss, and working out some but not enough.

Now, that said, I am so done wasting my time and my doctors time with unnecessary visits because of anxiety. I have a resting heart rate of sixty eight to seventh two beats per minute, I do have a prolapsed mitral valve, and anxiety.

I am curious about others who'd deal with the shortness of breath. I have no pain or discomfort, and part of me is sure it is anxiety, that I am just ,
    More aware, but I seem out of breath more often. Am I just getting older? Anxiety and age do not seem to be mixing well for me

Re: Shortness of breath...when is it anxiety and when not?

How long have you been having it? Since you are still alive and active I assume that you are fine.

I too have shortness of breath and had for awhile. I am a healthy 34 yo female, fit and everything. I am personally done cracking my head about it. It never hurts me so I am fine. Simple as that.

And yeah, anxiety can totally aggravate this issue. But I don't have a clear guidance on when it is anxiety and when it is not. You have to observe what is normal for you. If it gets significantly worse in a short time, maybe you need to think about it. Otherwise, just focus on the weight loss and exercise and stress reduction. Cheers!

I guess my main issue is that I used to be phenomenally fit. I let too many other things in my life get in the way, so I am doing my best to make it a priority. Getting back in the swing of things, as it were.

I know I can get fit again, I just have to find the time, which should be easier now that my last kid just graduated and is moving on. Empty nest makes it easier to find some spare time, and to make use of it.

My biggest issue, is I LOVE to run. But years and years of running has caught up to my knees and my back. I would love to get a good bike, but in Minnesota, winters make it prohibitive. So I do a bit of lifting and stationary bike, and the pounds are coming off. I just guess maybe age is catching up to my brain a bit, and the anxiety is rising up.

I have definitely had shortness of breath like this before--when I was in my early 20s, I pretty much thought I was dying, as my breath was always short. I was in excellent shape, and learned about anxiety for the first time then, in part because of it.

I have done well about it over the years, but worse some times too. Now I am in the middle of the road, I go through what I consider short episodes of anxiety, and I guess I am in the middle of one now. And it will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by lofwyr View Post
    I guess my main issue is that I used to be
    I have definitely had shortness of breath like this before--when I was in my early 20s, I pretty much thought I was dying, as my breath was always short. I was in excellent shape, and learned about anxiety for the first time then, in part because of it.
    So to me that sums it up. If you are still here after so many years of having this issue, clearly it isn't immediately fatal I do get anxiety about shortness of breath though. I was just thinking, why do some people seem to be plagued with it without any known medical reason? What is wrong with us? I'll let you know if I find an answer lol

I'm not overweight by any means, but I still get short of breath if I walk up stairs too quickly, walk fast/run for more than several minutes, etc. I think a lot of it has to do with being generally out of shape. Anxiety also increases sensitivity to otherwise normal bodily sensations so we notice them more. One trick I use to alleviate shortness of breath is slowing my breathing intentionally. Slow, deep breaths through the nose, hold for a few seconds, and exhale slowly through the mouth. It always corrects the weird breathing stuff within a couple of minutes. Again, not overweight, and I'm only 29.

I've had an echo and stress test, and both were clear. The shortness of breath after 10 minutes or so on the treadmill were perfectly normal and expected, per the nurse. This is why I believe the hypersensitivity caused by anxiety plays a part in how we react to shortness of breath.

Do you experience it when at rest? Does it get better when you get up and move around?

My shortness of breath usually comes from trotting up stairs, at least that's when I notice it most. I need to get in better shape to be sure.

I can honestly ride an incumbent bike without being overly winded, even at high resistance and holding a good speed for 30 min. I pretty much know it isn't anxiety, but there is always that damn "what if" lurking in the back of an anxious mind.

Even as I type this I am ten minutes in on a good pace with the bike and seems less out of breath than when I walk up the stairs. High resistance on it too, so I am not so much worries per se, as curious about how 26 years after the first time I dealt with breathlessness, it comes back, but never in the in between.

Frankly, just realizing how damn weird anxiety can be.

I have been suffering with shortness of breath for about 4 months now, feels like I constantly can't breath and just about to take my last breath. Same as me when I go up the stairs I feel like I've ran a marathon and can't breath. I've seen my dr who said it was anxiety but I really struggle dealing with it

I have chronic shortness of breathe for the last 5 months. I've had every test you could think of I don't know if I just have an obsession with thinking about my breathing which causes this or maybe my GERD is? I'm at such a loss and feel hopeless I feel breathless when I'm laying down, sitting, walking and I'm only 19.

I think running up stairs would cause anyone to be a bit puffed. I once asked my doctor if there was a way that I could determine if I was more out of breath than I should be. He told me to go for a swift walk (can't remember how far he said maybe 1 kilometre) and if I wasn't huffing and puffing by the end of it I was fine.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Being short of breath is not the same thing as feeling like you aren't getting enough air when you take a breath. The latter is a common anxiety symptom and has nothing to do with being breathless.

I agree with swajj. My doc has said basically the same thing, that if I take a good, swift walk and I'm not abnormally out of breath then all is well. Many people told me in the past that even though they are in good shape, walking/running stairs still causes some increase in breathing and also heart rate. Not a big deal. I don't think about it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information