Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart monitors--fit bits, apple watches...my path to anxiety I didn't expect

Heart monitors--fit bits, apple watches...my path to anxiety I didn't expect

Perhaps others have seen my posts about shortness of breath, especially after moving around a good deal or climbing a flight of stairs.

Other than that, a little background. I am now 46. I am two years younger than my father when he got heart disease (he is still rolling at 78, so no sad story there, though his heart is a mess right now--I also take far better care of my body than he did). I fluctuate in health from working out religiously to seeming to let it slide for a month or so. I am a little overweight, needing to lose 10-ish pounds. I am conscious of my health, and try to eat well most times, but have not always eaten well in the past. I never drank, I smoked 5 years but quit 19 years ago next month. I have a prolapsed mitral valve in my heart, but otherwise no major health issues. It doesn't, or hasn't given me much trouble.

Obviously, by me being here, I have health anxiety as well--actually probably generalized anxiety as I can get pretty spun up over non health issues too. That said, I recognize it, and have gone to therapy and learned a lot of successful CBT techniques, and overall manage it pretty well. But I have periodic episodes, triggered by small things or big things. Lost a friend to cancer, and it awakened my HA, though it wasn't until a year or so after his passing. Sometimes hearing health issues on the TV or radio trigger me, but not usually, not unless it applies to me very directly. I try--usually successfully these days--not to let my imagination get the best of me, and even near full episodes I can seem to overcome successfully.

Enter my Apple Watch. I have had an Apple Watch for a year and a half, and a fitbit for years prior to that, usually to track exercise, diet, weight loss etc. One thing I never used or paid much attention to was the heart rate monitor. I mean, for years now I have used a fitness tracker of one sort or another, and never paid any attention to heart rate--until now.

When I had the shortness of breath, which I am still pretty much attributing to anxiety at this point, I turned it on and took a look, not so much because I was freaked out, but because I was curious. Was that ever a huge mistake!

I have a good resting heart rate, at least good enough for my current level of fitness, being mid 70s, if I am really relaxed it drops to 68 or 69, if I am feeling anxious, it rides around 80, sometimes as high as 87, but normally right in the middle at 74-77, all withing the normal, healthy parameters for my age. I do not have high blood pressure that I know of (last doctor visit was a physical last May).

But when I stand, and move around, even casually, like just walking around the house from the kitchen to the living room for instance, it seems to jump right to 105 to 108. Sometimes it hovers around 100, but often rides around 107. I can find NO information (and for the first time in thirteen YEARS I broke down and googled) describing what a normal "walking around" heart rate should be. Luckily, I didn't see anything in my google-relapse that sent me in a worse direction, but I found NO information about anything related to your "walking around" heart rate other than what your resting heart rate should be.

Now I have this damn device on my wrist that basically feeds my hypochondria. I am happy with my resting heart rate, but now I cannot seem to stop checking and obsessing over my heart rate on the thing. I cannot take it off, as my Apple Watch ties into my work (phone email and text alert which I need for work). And now, try as I might, I cannot quit obsessively checking my heart rate. I am reassured when sitting around and it is 69, but I check it walking to the kitchen (I work at home), and bam, it is 108 or 115 and I freak out.

I don't have any idea what the normal walking around pulse should be for a 190 pound 6'3" 46 year old man should be (and I will leave google well enough alone) but have a couple of questions for people out there suffering with HA. First, have you obsessed about your heart rate, and if so, did it have anything to do with a fitness tracker? How did you overcome it?

And, out of curiosity, does anyone know if my 107 "walking around" pulse is high? Or is that normal? I know my target heart rate for excercise, I know my resting heart rate. What I have NEVER been told, probably because it doesn't matter that much, is what is our "walking around casually, or doing dishes" heart rate?

Obviously a real problem, but do mean this post a bit tongue and cheek. I am ruining a good run of being light on HA with this dang Apple Watch. All my OCD stuff is creeping back, and I may just ditch it for a while anyway.

Any shared experiences or heart rate info from someone more rational than me would be welcome!

Re: Heart monitors--fit bits, apple watches...my path to anxiety I didn't expect

Perfectly normal.

Heart-rate fluctuates all of the time, sometimes for no apparent reason.

Why would 107 pose a problem?

Re: Heart monitors--fit bits, apple watches...my path to anxiety I didn't expect

The thing is, I had no idea what "normal" is for walking around, and the key word "unknown" is pretty much my big trigger

Thanks for sharing that, just never knew. I always knew the magic numbers you use to guide good health, never knew anything else, and curiosity killed the cat.

Thanks again!

Activity increases heart rate and 107 is no where near a worrying heart rate.

cardiac stress test takes you to 185....107 is perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that at all!

Your max heart rate (the maximum heart rate that you can attain that is based on your genetics) is going to be between 169 and 183 (calculated 206-(0.67*age) with a +-7 deviation). So you are a long way from it beating too hard.

I remember hearing my son's heartbeat when my wife was pregnant with him. They were monitoring him due to some small concerns. His heart beat was jumping around the low hundreds to up to 160 ish. The nurse advised that baby's hearts generally beat faster than adult's hearts and it was jumping up to the high levels just when he moved around. I hope that puts it in context a little more.

It is definitely normal, IMO, to see it a little over 100 when moving around/walking. I'm on a beta blocker, and my resting rate tends to be mid 60s to low 70s. Walking around, however, yields 85-90. If I've been walking for a few, it'll sometimes hit a little over 100.

i have a new fitbit charge 2 and am having some of the same issues. i have had health anxiety for a number of years usually having to do with my heart. I have had a cardiology consults numerous times over the years - at least 4 times - and have always been told that my heart is fine. i am a 51 year old female now and this is continuing to bother me. I have had all the typical tests - stress test, echo, ekg, holter monitor etc.- on the holter they have picked up pvc's and pac's but have told me not to worry about. but of course I do. the symptoms now that bother me aren't necessarily about palpitations - just a weird feeling that something isn't right - i would like to think that this is just my anxiety rearing it's head but since i've had my new fitbit charge 2 I have looked at the display during these anxious/strange feeling and a few times the display has shown -- in other words the device is not picking up my heart rate for some reason - it doesn't last like this very long - a few times i have ripped it off it scared me so bad but today when it happened i left it on and the hr came back on the display within a couple of minutes. so this thing has me scared and i'm not sure what's going on - I don't feel dizzy or short of breath during these attacks but just anxious and like something isn't right. i guess it's back to my family doctor i go to tell her what is going on with my fitbit and then wait another who knows how many months to see a cardiologist. i have searched the fitbit website but can't find anything about what would cause this on the site - a few times when this has happened it has sent me to a really bad place with anxiety and i have taken clonazepam which eventually settled me down

---------- Post added at 23:39 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

oh and as for my hr generally speaking - my resting ranges from 66-72 depending on the day- most of the time when i look at it thru the day it is in the high 70s or low 80s but if i am up and moving about it easily goes up into the 90s and even 100-110 without too much movement - so what the original poster is having is pretty typical for me too

I didn't get a Fitbit for this reason. I don't wanna know my HR all the time. I want to know it when I check my blood pressure. Not 24/7 because it would just raise my anxiety more.

I have been getting anxious about my pulse rate. My resting pulse is usually between 62 & 66 bpm. However I have had my pulse as low as 56 & felt really tired ? I can be sat down & its 65 & just stand up & walk a few steps & it shoots up to 95. If I walk on a level surface for 5 mins it can be 120 !! I then feel discomfort in my chest & get freaked out. I wake in the mornings with a strange sensation in my chest & feel nauseas. I do have HA & am 61. Getting a bit anxious that its a heart issue & am now afraid to do too much ! I have a fitbit charge2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information