Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very high Calprotectin levels. Very concerned and confused! Thoughts?

Very high Calprotectin levels. Very concerned and confused! Thoughts?

I was having some bloody diarrhea last year so I did a colonoscopy. They found a very small amount of inflammation. Like nothing to be concerned about but chronic inflammation nonetheless. Probably only takes up like 2% of my colon.

I decided to a year later (now) to revisit why I still have some mild bowel issues. 1-2 fairly loose stools a day. No pain or any other symptoms.

I did my first comprehensive stool test and my calprotectin levels were off the charts at 1500 (normal is below 50). My symptoms are better than they were when I got a colonoscopy so I don't expect that to be different. I'm just confused why my numbers are so high.

I do have eosinophilic esophagitis so inflammation can be from that maybe. And also I heard that taking acid reflux medication can raise levels significantly and I take Zantac 2 times a day.

Again my levels are at 1500. No occult blood was found. Seeing Doctor next week. Anyone have experience of high levels when they aren't expected? False positives?

Re: Very high Calprotectin levels. Very concerned and confused! Thoughts?

Yes me.
    My level was over 300 and I had a colonoscopy. Nothing was found. She said sometimes we get false positive results. I'm not sure how this would help you but I wanted to share

Thanks!! Mine was 1500!!!!

No evidence I have inflammation anywhere else besides the little shown in my colon but why such a high number? Doctor wasn't very concerned since all my other numbers were good but she did say it was the highest number she has seen. Maybe it was false? Ugh

Hi Solidsimpson

I am linked to an old post of yours where you cal protectin was very high. Mine is 700 and I'm worried sick. What was the outcome for you? Did it all settle down? Hopefully it did.

Many thanks
    Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Nothing really new to update with me which I guess is a good thing? I feel fine. I never got retested or anything. My colon is still not great but far from being horrible.

Do you have any symptoms or get a colonoscopy?

Thanks that is so reassuring. I had a colonoscopy in November last year and they found a couple of benign polyps (caused by inflammation) and said ibs and haemorrhoids. The caloprotectin then was a bit raised. I was reassured, then I saw some blood recently and the diarrhoea got worse so my GP referred me back. The GI consultant said He thinks I have a malabsorption problem (because I had my gallbladder out and this can happen) and caused also by campylobacter infection I had 2.5 years ago. He did the caloprotectin test before he'd do a sigmoidoscopy. That's come back raised 700 and he has ordered a ct abdomen as he doesn't want to do another colonoscopy. He thinks it's viral (campylobactor because it can stay around) or inflammatory condition such as colitis.

My Gp says that's the thing with tests it throws things up unnecessarily. She says it only a marker for inflammation nothing else. So am pleased to hear that and also that yours was raised but settled down.

Thank you so much for responding.

Yea it's tricky! I wonder if mine was just a mistake. I do have chronic colitis but it's very mild. I don't have any malabsorption or any reason to think I have colitis in my small intestine. So it's a mystery. Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidsimpson View Post
    Yea it's tricky! I wonder if mine was just a mistake. I do have chronic colitis but it's very mild. I don't have any malabsorption or any reason to think I have colitis in my small intestine. So it's a mystery. Keep us updated!
    You definitely don't have colitis in your small intestine (colitis is inflammation of the colon).

Thanks Caper! I meant inflammation I small intestine. My colonoscopy didn't show any and my comprehensive stool exam didn't show any evidence of malabsorption. Just extremely high calprotectin! It's pretty spooky...

Apparently you can get false readings and I suppose they vary e.g. On one day high on another lower. I hope mine was just a blip. I have been much better over the last two days - fright perhaps? Usually when I'm anxious it gets worse though. Funny just been emailing someone and told them what's happened and I got the pain! Hadn't had it for 2 days as I said. I've been doing the ibs YouTube video by Michael Sealey and Mindfulness by Jon KabutZinn which have helped a bit.

Thanks to you for sharing, I'll let you know how I get on but if you do think of anything else which might allay my fears, I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks again,
    Elizabeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information