Thread: Question about gallstones and weight loss

Question about gallstones and weight loss

I first had a gallstones in 2012 and I'm 2014 I still had same one it wasn't causing any problems. Last march I started a diet lost 60 pounds and in August had some stomach problems went to dr she sent for ultrasound. It was gallstones she said i had a lot of gallstones but didn't say exactly how many. She said I should get my gallbladder out I said no I'm afraid, she said to talk to a surgeon but I never went. I don't understand how in year and a half I went from one stone to all of sudden many. I looked it up and found out weight loss could cause it. I think that's what happened. I'm going soon to a gastroenterologist to find out more about it but I know it isn't causing me symptoms that would make me want to get it taken out. My main question is I need to lose a lot more weight still but I'm worried doing that will cause many more gallstones and other problems I don't need. It says losing more than 2 pounds a week causes the stones. That is not right being bigger you automatically lose more than that on first weeks. I'm just afraid I need to lose weight but I don't want to have more gallstones and have more things to worry about. I don't think it's fair when your trying to fix your life and health and you get gallstones and have to deal with pain. What should I do? If I lose weight will I have more stones?

Re: Question about gallstones and weight loss

Your gallbladder is not functioning properly. .. the longer it's in your body, the more stones it will make.

Putting it off is serious, ignored gallstones can cause problems with your liver, pancreas and gallbladder.

If stones get stuck in your bile duct or your gallbladder becomes inflamed, infected or gangrene, your simple laproscopic gallbladder surgery becomes emergency surgery with a huge insision that goes from your front ribs all the way around your back.

It's not worth it, get it taken care of.
    Last edited by NancyW; 07-01-17 at 13:00.

DO NOT PUT THIS OFF

I lived with Gallbladder issues for 14 months (through no doing of my own) doctor's could not find the cause to my back pain and stomach burning, I had to have emergency surgery for 3 hours, I had 23 gallstones and my gallbladder was....well there almost was not one.

Please, get your gallbladder removed, it will be done through keyhole surgery & its lasts for about 40 mins, unlike me I have a massive scar on my stomach.

Hi
    I had gallstones over 25 years ago i got as though i couldnt eat even rolling on the floor in such pain,then my doctor told me that they could now take out your gallbladder with keyhole surgery in Leeds General Infirmary...i had a camera down to see what was going on under anasthetic.I had stones in gallbladder and bile duct,i had the operation but had to stay in 5 days as i had had them for so long i had got an infection,but im so glad i did it as i had suffered for 9 years until keyhole surgery was available.....

It is possibly one of the worst pain I have ever had, the amount of times I was in A&E only to be told that I have a peptic ulcer was unreal!

I also used to roll around and there was no way to sit comfortably and used to get woken at night with the pain.....NEVER AGAIN...

They tried keyhole surgery with me but mine was so infected it was useless.

Seriously, the longer you leave this the more gallstones you'll develop and the more you'll experience pain. Get the surgery now while they can still do it keyhole!!

I had my op at 11:30am and was home by 7pm.
    adjective SCOTTISH
    exhausted or slightly unwell.
    "I'm feeling a bit wabbit"

Nothing to do with Elmer Fudd

Thread Information