Thread: Talking therapy for anxiety

Talking therapy for anxiety

Hi all,
    Does talking therapy work for people with anxiety and how does it work?
    Regards,
    Andrew.

Re: Talking therapy for anxiety

What do you mean by talking therapy? I have heard that CBT works for some people.

I have Talking Therapy for my BiPolar type 2. I have symptoms of anxiety, depression and mania.

I find the Talking Therapy is very good, it helps with navigating my condition and my Talking Therapist will challenge fact and fiction in my thinking and talking.

I think Talking Therapy is something that is beyond just the listening Therapy where a counsellor doesn't talk much and is wrapped up for me in Person Centred therapy certainly with my therapist.

It works for different people in different ways

Some people find the idea of unloading on an impartial person really freeing/alleviating.
    Some people find talking to someone on a regular basis good for accountability (ie-if you say you will do something, then you do it because you have someone to report to)
    Some therapists can help you reframe your thought processes.

No therapy can take anything away and any good talk therapy is a relationship between you and the therapist, where you are required to do the work discussed and trying to address the things that are revealed

I have always liked going to talk therapy and it's given me benefit in different periods in my life

BACP have a useful list with explanations:

http://www.itsgoodtotalk.org.uk/what...pes-of-therapy

I'd say talking therapies can bring out even simple lessons that a constantly tired and anxious mind can have forgotten or not absorbed. Am doing an online CBT course and it points out that an anxious mind doesn't just over estimate the danger / risk of things, it underestimates your ability to cope with them.

That sounds so obvious, but in my current state I had just forgotten it. It forced me to think back to times past when I have dealt with problems, and reminded myself of my ability to cope with them. At that moment had a glimpse of how wrong my thinking has been during the current period of extreme anxiety. It's only a start at challenging negative thoughts, but a start nonetheless.

This is something Gloucestershire/Herefordshire have introduced. I had a phone chat with a therapist and they have put me on a waiting list for 1-2-1 telephone therapy with a 6 week wait. 6 Weeks sounds a fair bit, but some areas using 1-2-1 face to face I believe can be 13 months or more.
    I find any discussion about my problem helps, so I am expecting good results.

Thread Information