Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A year ago today

Re: A year ago today

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa101 View Post
    I'm soo glad to hear that!

Don't worry about the periods of weirdness, just try to ignore them, attention just makes it worse - like the dissonance you get if you say a word over and over again. Plus it is Blue Monday the most depressing day of year so everyone is feeling rubbish according to the news..

I had really extreme DP/DR for about 3 months - to the point where I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror because the feelings of dissociation were so strong. Then it eased off slightly, but was still very bad and coupled with brain fog and fatigue, for I guess the next 6 months. I honestly can't tell you when I recovered because I just forgot about it. I'd say by 18 months I was back to normal. In fact I was better than normal because I'd started exercising to help with the DP/DR and was thinner and in better shape than I'd ever been.

I was so, so obsessed with this symptom that I know if I can get over it anyone can. In some of my old posts from 2013 I was asking the same question as you - 'Can I recover from DP/DR?'. I did and you will, I promise x
    Thanks Lissa,

I have found your kind words very helpful and calming. I still indeed feel "off" or "strange" but I feel as if they are much easier to ignore now after this weekend. This I hope is the key to a start of relief for me, hopefully they will continue to go away to the point of no return. I still have the thoughts of what happened to me a year ago, but it seems like they kinda just are a small blip on my radar at the moment. I cant wait for the day I can go a full 24 hours without thinking about my ordeal!

Quote Originally Posted by Partiedtoohard View Post
    Thanks Lissa,

I have found your kind words very helpful and calming. I still indeed feel "off" or "strange" but I feel as if they are much easier to ignore now after this weekend. This I hope is the key to a start of relief for me, hopefully they will continue to go away to the point of no return. I still have the thoughts of what happened to me a year ago, but it seems like they kinda just are a small blip on my radar at the moment. I cant wait for the day I can go a full 24 hours without thinking about my ordeal!
    Yeah, it seems that you need to forget it kind of, since every last time i got rid of it, I didn't even remember how and when I did get rid of it. But you should also look into trauma procession which could help a lot too. There are lots of articles on dpselfhelp forums.

It's so lovely to see such a positive change in your outlook PTH �� That's def a good sign, us anxiety types can often become too fixed in our ways of thinking which delays the recovery process. Wishing you well x

Have you ever experienced DPDR in your life before, maybe as a child? Have you had some problems in your childhood or has there ever been something wrong in your family? For most DPDR sufferers, DPDR is caused by family trauma during childhood that has caused them to disociate from the bad emotions. If you can relate to this, then you should try to relive those emotions and let them be experienced, which could ultimately lift the dpdr feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa101 View Post
    It's so lovely to see such a positive change in your outlook PTH �� That's def a good sign, us anxiety types can often become too fixed in our ways of thinking which delays the recovery process. Wishing you well x
    Thanks Lissa,

This last weekend was great as well. I had chunks of time where I forgot about feeling different all together. Its definitely eased up, and with your helpful words I am confident I will make it to 100%! I had a bit to drink over the weekend as well, I did feel not so well the next day. I for sure need to stay away from too much liquor .

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by viking111 View Post
    Have you ever experienced DPDR in your life before, maybe as a child? Have you had some problems in your childhood or has there ever been something wrong in your family? For most DPDR sufferers, DPDR is caused by family trauma during childhood that has caused them to disociate from the bad emotions. If you can relate to this, then you should try to relive those emotions and let them be experienced, which could ultimately lift the dpdr feelings.
    Forgive me for sounding rude Viking, but you are stating to sound like kind of a broken record with this childhood stuff. Maybe it is possible that some people do have childhood issues, but I can assure you I did not. My family loved me, and took care of me correctly.
    I am starting to feel inclined to ask if you in fact work as a spokesperson for this Harris Harrington person, as about 40% of the posts I see you make are about "childhood issues" and Harris Harrington. It also seems like you appear to want to have the last word on about every post on this sub-thread so far.
    Just an observation, again don't mean to be rude. I am just not sure that the childhood issues cause is a fit for everyone, as I am recovering and I plan to 100% without any childhood trauma. If this information helped you, then more power to you and I am extremely happy for you, I just dont think it is in my recovery plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Partiedtoohard View Post
    Thanks Lissa,

This last weekend was great as well. I had chunks of time where I forgot about feeling different all together. Its definitely eased up, and with your helpful words I am confident I will make it to 100%! I had a bit to drink over the weekend as well, I did feel not so well the next day. I for sure need to stay away from too much liquor .

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Forgive me for sounding rude Viking, but you are stating to sound like kind of a broken record with this childhood stuff. Maybe it is possible that some people do have childhood issues, but I can assure you I did not. My family loved me, and took care of me correctly.
    I am starting to feel inclined to ask if you in fact work as a spokesperson for this Harris Harrington person, as about 40% of the posts I see you make are about "childhood issues" and Harris Harrington. It also seems like you appear to want to have the last word on about every post on this sub-thread so far.
    Just an observation, again don't mean to be rude. I am just not sure that the childhood issues cause is a fit for everyone, as I am recovering and I plan to 100% without any childhood trauma. If this information helped you, then more power to you and I am extremely happy for you, I just dont think it is in my recovery plan.

Yeah, I understand what you mean.
    It's just that I always that his programme has helped me a lot to come out of this anxiety cycle and get back at least some of my emotions. I am not a spokespearson, but I truly believe it helps at least a bit.
    About the childhood part, I am not 100% sure, but from most recources, the Harris Harrington programme and my therapist, I was told that you simply don't get this just like that, it develops due to something being wrong in your life. It might have not been your childhood, it might have been a death of a loved one or something really traumatizing. For me it indeed was my childhood as many of my family members died and I was raised in a dysfunctional family.
    I also apologise for sounding overly pushy about this trauma thing in the start of the issue. It might be that there is some other problem not related to trauma that has caused this DPDR as for normal people it does not develop, I am sure. I also wish you all the best with the recovery from this awful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by viking111 View Post
    Yeah, I understand what you mean.
    It's just that I always that his programme has helped me a lot to come out of this anxiety cycle and get back at least some of my emotions. I am not a spokespearson, but I truly believe it helps at least a bit.
    About the childhood part, I am not 100% sure, but from most recources, the Harris Harrington programme and my therapist, I was told that you simply don't get this just like that, it develops due to something being wrong in your life. It might have not been your childhood, it might have been a death of a loved one or something really traumatizing. For me it indeed was my childhood as many of my family members died and I was raised in a dysfunctional family.
    I also apologise for sounding overly pushy about this trauma thing in the start of the issue. It might be that there is some other problem not related to trauma that has caused this DPDR as for normal people it does not develop, I am sure. I also wish you all the best with the recovery from this awful thing.

All good my friend. I have unfortunately seen too many people be scammed by horrible people online who would like to get fortune off of someones illness. If the program does indeed work for you, then I am 100% happy that this has helped, and by all means keep it up.
    Keep up the recovery and I wish you all the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information