Thread: ECG Done and all Clear but still having heart-related symptoms?

Angry ECG Done and all Clear but still having heart-related symptoms?

Hi Guys,

So I had an ECG today due to having heart-related symptoms. I also had one about a week ago at the Emergency Department at my local hospital due to the same anxiety.

Both have come back completely clear and my blood tests and blood pressure is all 100% fine every time I've had it checked for the last few weeks.

My symptoms can range from a few things, mainly I get discomfort in the centre of my chest which seems to radiate towards my left shoulder and arm, along with some tingling in my left hand and fingers occasionally. I do also get a fast heart rate when I worry too much about this and end up having what I call a "mini" panic attack (Usually the sort I can control in public without throwing myself around convinced I'm dying)

My GP has prescribed a beta-blocker, Propranolol 10mg, and says to take it up to 3 times per day, or whenever I feel I need to.

The thing is, I'm also terrified now of taking it in case it causes a side effect which could be serious etc... I've taken Propranolol before, back in 2010 when I was having similar symptoms on a daily basis and was officially diagnosed with anxiety, and from what I can remember it did actually help.

My symptoms are usually relieved by burping, and only tend to be worse after eating a big meal or one that is likely to cause indigestion or acid reflux, and so technically I have an argument with myself and tell myself that it's just anxiety, but the symptoms themselves are absolutely terrifying, and telling myself it's all anxiety while I'm in the middle of feeling the way I do is like trying to get blood from a stone - it just doesn't work.

I'm at a loss on what to do really - I KNOW this is anxiety but it's starting to affect me in social situations, at home and even when I'm trying to spend time with my fiance. I cannot help but think the worst is always going to happen.

Re: ECG Done and all Clear but still having heart-related symptoms?

Give the Propranolol a go. You've had it before and it's been fine. It's also not a big dose. My propranolol tablets are 40mg. Sort me right out if I'm having a bad day.

What you also need to do is to get some help with the anxiety. Whether that be CBT, mindfulness, etc. You know it is getting worse so take the steps to learn to deal with it better.

Hi,

sorry to bump this thread. My symptoms are similar to yours, especially the thing after having eaten a full meal. I've got an appointment at a Cardiologist shortly to check my heart. I've already had a regular ECG at the ER a month ago, which was normal.

My mom used to have the same symptoms after eating, and she was diagnosed with having extrasystoles, a rather benign condition relieved by beta blockers. And indeed, her symptoms immediately disappeared when she started taking them.

I'm not taking any beta blockers at the moment. I'm afraid to take them without the doctors consent since I'm already on sertraline and take 0.5 to 1mg of lorazepam daily. I'm worried about interactions of those meds. The lorazepam does help if I take my dose about an hour before eating, but I cannot continue taking them due to the addiction risk.

So I'm waiting for the Cardiologists opinion before doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkiesWorld View Post
    Hi Guys,
    so technically I have an argument with myself and tell myself that it's just anxiety, but the symptoms themselves are absolutely terrifying, and telling myself it's all anxiety while I'm in the middle of feeling the way I do is like trying to get blood from a stone - it just doesn't work.
    Exactly how I can feel in the middle of a bout of palpitations.

Thread Information