Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Does Anxiety Actually Last!?

How Long Does Anxiety Actually Last!?

I know this a "how long is a piece of string" question but I was sat there thinking last night how long will it be before I am back to my usual self again?

I counted how many times I have had different tests/dr appointments etc in the past 4 months and it was astonishing!

I have had 29(!) different blood tests, x-rays, MRI's, ECG's, Echo's, eye tests, and physical exams/Dr appointments and apart from only 2 results which showed slight issues (most recent heart results) everyone single one has come back normal - yet I am still sat here 4 months later feeling a little down, pains in body, dizziness, weight loss, tingling in head, worried about heart etc. You know - the usual!

So as I am into my 4th month (nearly my 5th) - does it get any easier or better from here? How do you cope?
    Last edited by Anxytips; 11-01-17 at 14:49.

Re: How Long Does Anxiety Actually Last!?

how long will it be before I am back to my usual self again?
    The same amount of time as the question...

How long will it be before you make changes to the way you think?

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    The same amount of time as the question...

How long will it be before you make changes to the way you think?
    This is it! I have been doing CBT and it did help but still getting these "sensations". It is such an up hill battle with thoughts

It is such an up hill battle with thoughts.
    It is if you think it is.

What are the sensations?

This bit -

Quote Originally Posted by Anxytips View Post
    - yet I am still sat here 4 months later feeling a little down, pains in body, dizziness, weight loss, tingling in head, worried about heart etc. You know - the usual!

Ok, it always helps to take a step back and to see things "as they are."

So when I read that, the only things that are "sensations" are...

pains in body, dizziness, tingling in head
    And the last two are essentially the same thing. So you have "pains", and some diziness.

feeling a little down
    Everyone feels a "little down" from time to time.

weight loss
    How significant a weight loss? It kind of goes without saying that if you are worrying and stressed, you generally lose weight.

worried about heart
    You've had an all clear. You have two options. Keep worrying irrationally. Ignore those fears and move on.

It is such an up hill battle with thoughts.
    It is if you try and fight them. The goal isn't to stop having negative thoughts. EVERYONE HAS NEGATIVE THOUGHTS. Even people without anxiety.

What separates us and them is how we react to those thoughts. Most of our thoughts are stupid, and not based on reality.

The moment you realise that life becomes so much easier. Take a step back and realise how much of a knot you've tied yourself in.

Thank you mate! Also just been watching your videos on YouTube! Very helpful.

Regarding the weight loss side I have lost 21 lbs (1.5 stone) in the 4 month period.

Yeah the heart thing - not entirely the all clear - just a few anomalies on recent heart tests that has prompted the dr to now do a stress mri on my heart but he said at this stage there is nothing serious to be worrying about

Quote Originally Posted by Anxytips View Post
    Thank you mate! Also just been watching your videos on YouTube! Very helpful.

Regarding the weight loss side I have lost 21 lbs (1.5 stone) in the 4 month period.

Yeah the heart thing - not entirely the all clear - just a few anomalies on recent heart tests that has prompted the dr to now do a stress mri on my heart but he said at this stage there is nothing serious to be worrying about
    It's a weird one isnt it?

I feel in a much better place physically and mentally than I did back in April/May/June when my Anxiety was at its height. But I still don't feel "normal"

My head CONSTANTLY feels "dense" or something, I have constant tremors in my hands and jaw and I keep getting these dizzy sensations. Its these things that are holding me back from a total recovery.

But it's a bit of a catch 22 and goes back to old question, is it anxiety causing the symptoms or symptoms causing the anxiety?

Will they ever go while I think about them? Will they ever go while I'm striving for my recovery?

Ones thing is for sure the doctors can find nothing wrong, and I'm no worse after 9 months of this.

It's all so f*ing annoying!
    Last edited by Colicab85; 11-01-17 at 16:57.

at this stage there is nothing serious to be worrying about

My anxiety comes in waves. I've had it for 24 years now. I honestly don't remember who I was before anxiety

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information