Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100

Thread: Very worried about esophageal cancer

Re: Very worried about esophageal cancer

There must be a certain adrenaline rush chasing a diagnosis for some on here. Certainly not for all. That's the distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    There must be a certain adrenaline rush chasing a diagnosis for some on here. Certainly not for all. That's the distinction.
    Perhaps more Dopamine, chasing the high? Certainly if considering something to be about attention seeking. That is an important distinguishing factor between something like an Impulse Disorder and an Anxiety Disorder. They aren't chasing for reassurance to dampen down anxiety since they are chasing the feel good.

Obviously it's never so simple, there can be both in play in complex disorders, but it would surely by the rare cases in places like this? Unless we have few anxiety sufferers on here.

Most are probably seeking that elusive closure that closure to the non anxious just doesn't bring to those with these disorders?

I don't agree with the 'attention seeking' factor as the background motivation driving posting in HA, as I've said before. Desperate reassurance seeking (I know myself) isn't enjoyable and gives nothing positive. The constant drive to 'cure' your thoughts, to make them go, to feel non-anxious, the underlying belief that you are ill/dying and nobody believes you drives the posting. I could waffle on about attention-seeking, but Terry described in much better words the fact that those with spiralling HA are 'chasing words to try and temporarily dampen the anxiety'.

Ironically too many words just open up more opportunities for anxiety though. Something I was told re managing my daughter's anxiety.

This is something I've noticed with my own HA - talking about it tends to give it more life.

So true, I have a tendency if faced with an anxious situation to not tell anyone - as I don't want to spend time going over things mentally. Talking about issues too much just doesn't help me.

I know my advice was targeted towards autism and too much language causing confusion but I think it does apply to some with an anxiety disorder too.

Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100

Thread Information