Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried about flying

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Worried about flying

I've been all week worrying about booking a flight for next week and can't decide if I want to go anybody give me any advice not flown in about 3 years?

Re: Worried about flying

What are some of your fears about the flight?

I used to be afraid of crashing/problems until I flew a lot. It would help me to think about how in this very moment, thousands of planes are taking off and landing without a hitch! We only hear about the bad stuff.

I might have a panic attack and can't get off the flight is only an hour but can't bring myself to book it.

You"ll be totally fine if its only an hour, I say go for it! Get some things to distract you, meditations, audiobooks...whatever works for you. I'm mega fidgety so I always take a rubix cube so people dont notice my restless hands. Good luck ☺

I get a bit panicky on the plane but fly regularly from Hannover Germany to Birmingham to visit family, which only takes about an hour and 40 minutes, and I have to have all my 'props' in my hand luggage as far as i'm allowed, such as one of those menthol sticks that you breathe through your nose with, because panic can often start with feeling you can't breathe. I also use earplugs to drown out most of the unnecessary chatter around me.

I usually pay a bit extra (with Flybe) so I can choose my seat when I book online and always choose a seat in the first 3 or 4 rows, an aisle seat not a window seat. I then just try to read the inflight mag about all the cities they fly to and what's going on there, just to distract myself.

By the time the snack trolley comes around followed by the duty free trolley, the descent starts, which is the last 20 mins of the flight. I've never flown long haul so not sure how I'd cope with that. I think about all the celebs who fly back and forth across the Atlantic as if they were catching a bus, or the business people who have to fly in and out of Europe, or across the UK each day to get to their jobs.

Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and just do it. How have you coped in the past?

ISB

I coped fine before but I always have big gaps when I fly takes me years to build up courage to go on holiday again. I've driven my girlfriend bonkers now and don't think she's willing to book it now so not looking good. I plan on going euro star in the summer however if like to head to Dublin but the only way is to fly.

Well that's it left it too late as the flight is in a few days. Beating myself up over this as the anxiety has won when it came to booking I couldn't bring myself to the checkout stage.

Sorry to hear that. It may have won the battle but you can win the war.

Fear of flying is perfectly rational so don't beat yourself up over it.

I changed my mind and booked it going to worry now got a few days before the flight..

Hey that's awesome!! Good for you! It will be better than you expect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information