Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worried about flying

Re: Worried about flying

Well done! Just think how great you're going to feel when you land.

Good for you! I had the same feelings as you about flying, but eventually I got to fly without any problems after about six flights. I won't tell you it was easy the first and second time but the more familiar it becomes, the easier it gets. I agree with the poster who advises taking 'props' to make you comfortable. This might sound lame, but I logged on to You Tube, and some video of planes taking off and landing taken by people going on holiday. They shot the film through the plane window so I put my chair sideways and imagined I was on the plane, taking off. OK so I now sound completely barking and I can't believe I've told anyone this............................but you know what, after a few goes at it I did feel a bit better. Please don't tell anyone I did this!!

Pansy, that's a brilliant idea! I haven't flown for over 20 years. I've booked a holiday in Lapland with my partner. I wasn't too worried at the time but now there are only three weeks to go and I have to say I'm terrified! Every night as I drift off to sleep I feel myself on the plane taking off and I wake up with a lightning bolt of panic thinking that I just can't do it. We don't live that far from Heathrow, and every day I look out of my window and see the planes peacefully going by, not crashing ... I'm not even sure what it is that frightens me so much - it's probably fear of fear as much as anything - but I have done it before without having a massive panic and embarrassing myself! I had a good cry this morning, I just wish I was a braver person and was actually looking forward to the holiday of a lifetime!

I fly for the first time in 4 weeks and I am super nervous but then I am going to be prepared as I can be and hoping my two kids will keep me distracted too lol x

Phil06,
    This all may be too late. You didn't say when the flight was, but...

-meditation mps on an ipod or your phone
    -a book you have already read and loved (even a childhood favourite)
    -write some good things about what is waiting for you after the flight (ie- a great restaurant, a productive work meeting, a comfy hotel room, etc) and focus on those
    -Think about the other times in your life where you have experienced anxiety. I would imagine there have been some times that have lasted just as long as your flight. And what I mean is, worse case scenario, you feel really uncomfortable for two hours. But it's likely something you've battled through before in different circumstances.

I flew this past September, a 5 hour flight, for the first time in 11 years and I had worked myself up horribly. But it was really okay and when we landed I even cried a bit because I was so proud of myself.

(I also had brought a colouring book with me that I didn't even need in the end)

Please keep us posted!

-Dora

I managed the flight wasn't too anxious but it was a quick flight. Have to return today so need to go on another.

Fantastic well done!! X

Awesome Phil!!

I haven't been on this site for a few years but I too am afraid of flying and it brings me out in panic just thinking of holiday.

We went to Turkey two years ago and I went to a hypnotherapist as I was willing to try anything.

He was brilliant, really understood everything, did a couple of sessions with me and gave me a usb stick to download what he had said onto my phone/tablet to listen to as and when needed.

It actually worked, the flight out was the best flight I have had in years, no panic whatsoever. Flight back was a fine too just listened to his recording.

I am going to Greece in June and New York in November and have booked back in with him.

I was very very sceptical of hypnosis but as I say I was prepared to try anything. It may not work for everyone but its worth a try.

Best of luck

Hey there, I suspect you've already had plenty of responses to this but here's what worked for me and my partner (she was terrified!):

1 - hypnotherapy. Sorted me out so I was able to go on honeymoon!
    2 - Valium. It really is an option, GPs are fairly happy to give you one or two for flights I think, although obviously not a first line treatment
    3 - Codewords and things to distract you on the flight, soothing music
    4 - choosing your seat so you can feel comfortable wherever you are on the plane
    5 - this might be alarming, but there's a website which teaches you how to survive a plane crash. I know it sounds silly but I think sometimes it's good to approach these things with a mixture of practical and soothing tactics. Apparently more than 50% of people survive crashes, and you can boost your chances by sitting in seats less than 7 rows from an exit, and making sure you carry a torch ?? Silly little things like this, but reading it made me feel more in control.

Happy holidays going forwards, hope the flight back was OK!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information