Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worried about flying

Re: Worried about flying

I fly in less than a week dreading it as the flight experience is unpleasant with anxiety

I’m flying again in a few weeks can anybody give me any tips? My anxiety has been bad lately

I’m due to fly tomorrow can anybody give me anymore tips?

I want to fly to New York but fear being shut in a box for 7 hours with food I don’t like and a small plane I can’t move much about

My mum doesn’t understand why I have flying anxiety as I use to fly myself when I was younger and she is a regular flyer. The issue is the news like Daily Mail any airplane tragedy it’s very graphic in detail and being honest this stuff has stuck in my mind and have lost faith in flying. I feel it’s a risk.

Anyway I was hoping to book a flight on my next holiday in February but I decided a short trip by train to England. I was hoping to do Dublin but just couldn’t handle the anxiety I mean what happens is for days I feel crap and worry at work that the anxiety has defeated me if I don’t fly. I do really want to go to New York and revisit Dublin but other than that I can take the train everywhere. I mean there is snobbery about taking the train as people prefer flying. Interesting climate change is changing that and overnight trains are coming back in Europe.

As I said before I considered myself a “Homebody” partly due to my anxiety but in the past 2 years I got out my comfort zone tried food abroad travelled I took a few flights and I also went to Europe by train. I visited Italy by train and Switzerland Belgium and France and many more. Should I content myself with that should I get use to that I prefer the train? Realistically I worry I may never overcome my flying fear. I have found a love for travelling having never been interested in it before.

So my question is how do I deal with the guilt of not flying? In the past I went through 4 years without flying then I took a few flights then I go back on my box again. I’ve had this pattern for years I wonder if a therapist could root it out as it’s obviously all in the mind?

At least you don't live in Australia where if you want to fly, every other country is 2.4 billion kilometers away

I am still trying to get my head round when to fly (when the virus is better obviously)

But I have been trying to imagine taking a book, watching a movie, music to break the journey up. I am also keen to book the fear of flyer course to learn about the plane and noises ect

Sometimes I feel I can beat the fear other times not. My biggest fear is being on a plane longer than 2 hours. I last flew 4 hours when I was much younger and can’t remember it much. I coped then but worry I won’t now. My goal to reach America may not be realistic maybe I can’t do it. Maybe I can? I had the same anxiety about long train journeys I did this by breaking it down into smaller journeys in the day which helped my anxiety. I’m not quite sure I can watch a full movie whilst travelling nor do I want to travel being medicated. The fear of flyer course has a 95% success rate but I can’t see me watching a few videos and suddenly being cured or am I wrong? Would £85 be a good investment?

This crisis has meant some large plans have been scrapped which isn’t good news as if I fly I have to take a smaller plane. Sure I’ve only ever flew normal planes never a jumbo but my fear is long haul. I wish I could travel the world however when you have had anxiety about being shut in for 7/8 hours, lack of good food can’t exactly go to McDonald’s mid flight..once lockdown is over I hope to be able to fly. I mean I agreed I could take a short visit to Ireland I guess. People say it’s great I can get to places by rail which great but I also want to visit Poland which is also hard to visit by rail so I wish I could overcome my fear of flying. My ambition is to travel the whole world if possible but that’s very hard when I fear boats and also planes. I have never gave boats a go but I don’t think I would like them..

I understand your fear. I do not like flying at all. I’ve flown previously and every time has just been awful. I can’t sit still, make 900 trips to the bathroom even though I don’t have to go lol, I just need to be up and moving. For me, I think I’ve worked it out to be a lack of control. There’s nothing about a flight I can control, and I don’t like putting myself in others hands. I’m no help on giving you advice to overcome this fear, but it would be interesting to read some others tips about how they handle it. I’d love to be able to travel anywhere and not have to plan for 2-3 days driving time on each trip.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information