Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worried about flying

Re: Worried about flying

Happy to offer any advice as I was a pilot for 30 years. To put things into perspective - one would have to fly every day and all day for 102 years before they crashed! You are 100 times more likely to get injured in a car crash than you are in a plane!
    When you fly - look at the guys and gals who service you and think about their temprement and their confidence with flying. They are perfectly relaxed boys and girls who know the truth about flying. They wouldn't be there if it was remotely dangerous - it is simply an unusual experience if someone hasn't done it often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zoros View Post
    Happy to offer any advice as I was a pilot for 30 years. To put things into perspective - one would have to fly every day and all day for 102 years before they crashed! You are 100 times more likely to get injured in a car crash than you are in a plane!
    When you fly - look at the guys and gals who service you and think about their temprement and their confidence with flying. They are perfectly relaxed boys and girls who know the truth about flying. They wouldn't be there if it was remotely dangerous - it is simply an unusual experience if someone hasn't done it often enough.
    My fear of flying differs in as much as it's me I don't trust not the palne or pilot. I have visions of losing control and trying to pull the emergency exit door out mid flight. Add to that the thought of being recorded on 100 phones and being posted on you tube. If I could sit on a chair on a wing, I'd fly, but being on a plane for 7 hours knowing there is absolutely no escape makes me think I will panic.

I'd just like to say that I was really nervous about my holiday in Lapland - I hadn't flown for around 20 years and always hated it. I took Pansy's advice and watched lots of YouTube videos (starting with simple takeoffs and reassuring pep talks, progressing to banking, crosswinds and emergency landings, also information about how planes actually work and why they stay up there). I also asked my GP for some beta blockers, as recommended by a friend who used to be a flight attendant, and found them really helpful. It was still fairly nerve-racking at first (sitting with my eyes shut and asking my partner "Is it supposed to be doing that"?) but gradually I began to be able to interpret the weird sensations and relax enough to embark on a giant crossword that occupied me most of the way there. So the goldfinch has finally flown! I don't honestly think that I will ever enjoy flying, but we had such a wonderful week that it was well worth it, and I'm already starting to look at holidays in Iceland ... all you fellow aviophobes, don't give up.

Hi I was really interested to read these posts and yours Phil. I have not been able to go home to Ireland in a year and a half but have a flight booked for Friday . The worst bit is worrying I will check in and then will not be able to board. Has anyone any advice on Valium for flying? I have 2mg tablets which I never take hardly except when I have acute anxiety. They seem to have little effect and don't stop the heart racing.not sure when to take them either I.e how soon before a flight. If you have this anxiety very bad in my experience no distraction works except some form of medication. Any tips anyone?

Hi Arletta, beta-blockers definitely helped with the racing heart, knot in the stomach etc. I didn't find they made me drowsy as diazepam can, but you can take both.

I'm keen to book another flight but worried again as I seen a news story about oxgen masks coming down during a flight.

I got the train to France this summer as i much prefer this to flying.

I want to book a flight to Berlin but worried as it's 2 hours 20 mins and I will be anxious

Anybody? Been unable to book tonight too stressed

Update:

Booked flight for October but very anxious now about being on plane 2 hours

Well done Phil that's so great you booked it! I hadn't flown since early 2013 until this July and I must say it was an absolute breeze.

I was really worried because I wasn't dealing with anxiety at all the last time I flew, I worried I would have a panic attack on board etc. Just didn't happen. I took a really engrossing book, downloaded some podcasts I love beforehand and focused on all the fun things we would do when we got there. The flight was an hour and a half and really smooth, so that helped. I'll admit I had a little beverage but that was more because I wanted to get into holiday mode! Enjoy yourself, we only live once

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information