Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Worried about flying

Re: Worried about flying

I fly in less than a week dreading it as the flight experience is unpleasant with anxiety

I’m flying again in a few weeks can anybody give me any tips? My anxiety has been bad lately

I’m due to fly tomorrow can anybody give me anymore tips?

I want to fly to New York but fear being shut in a box for 7 hours with food I don’t like and a small plane I can’t move much about

My mum doesn’t understand why I have flying anxiety as I use to fly myself when I was younger and she is a regular flyer. The issue is the news like Daily Mail any airplane tragedy it’s very graphic in detail and being honest this stuff has stuck in my mind and have lost faith in flying. I feel it’s a risk.

Anyway I was hoping to book a flight on my next holiday in February but I decided a short trip by train to England. I was hoping to do Dublin but just couldn’t handle the anxiety I mean what happens is for days I feel crap and worry at work that the anxiety has defeated me if I don’t fly. I do really want to go to New York and revisit Dublin but other than that I can take the train everywhere. I mean there is snobbery about taking the train as people prefer flying. Interesting climate change is changing that and overnight trains are coming back in Europe.

As I said before I considered myself a “Homebody” partly due to my anxiety but in the past 2 years I got out my comfort zone tried food abroad travelled I took a few flights and I also went to Europe by train. I visited Italy by train and Switzerland Belgium and France and many more. Should I content myself with that should I get use to that I prefer the train? Realistically I worry I may never overcome my flying fear. I have found a love for travelling having never been interested in it before.

So my question is how do I deal with the guilt of not flying? In the past I went through 4 years without flying then I took a few flights then I go back on my box again. I’ve had this pattern for years I wonder if a therapist could root it out as it’s obviously all in the mind?

At least you don't live in Australia where if you want to fly, every other country is 2.4 billion kilometers away

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information