Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, uh, cannabis oil?

So, uh, cannabis oil?

Weirdly enough, I'm asking about my dog, not myself.

My rescue pup has a considerable amount of anxiety in addition to being highly reactive to, well, a ton of things. He's already on flouxetine and trazadone and we've seen some improvement but we've got a long ways to go.

Apparently cannabis oil for dogs is a new things with a lot of different positive applications, including anxiety. They make treats but they're rather expensive considering the high dosage you have to give daily (like $30 for a bag of treats that would only last 15 days).

I can buy the oil and am considering doing just that, then adding it to melted coconut oil (which he loves), pouring into molds, and keeping in the fridge to give daily. It's more cost effective and probably just as good, right?

My question is, does anyone know anything on the topic? Anyone had any success?
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Re: So, uh, cannabis oil?

Well I presume its got traces of cannabis in the oil so I personaly wouldn't give my dog any type of drug like this. I would recommend and can say its been a really effective med and that's Rescue Remedy (floral based) completely safe and none habit forming so ask your vet about RR its brill and has helped my dog many times

Have you tried zylkene, Poppy? Personally I wouldn't go down the cannabis oil route.

I have tried Zylkene. It didn't help much.

I've done some more reading and specifically it is HEMP oil and not cannibis. My bad. It is processed from the seeds and doesn't contain the chemical compound that marijuana has that would make you high.

I intend to do more research before jumping in but his fears are pretty severe so I'm open to researching anything.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I have tried Zylkene. It didn't help much.

I've done some more reading and specifically it is HEMP oil and not cannibis. My bad. It is processed from the seeds and doesn't contain the chemical compound that marijuana has that would make you high.

I intend to do more research before jumping in but his fears are pretty severe so I'm open to researching anything.
    Poppy Google rescueremedy+dogs as I typed here you will be pleasantly surprised You have nothing to lose by at least checking it out! Cheers

Do you mean CBD oil? Or Hemp oil?

Hemp oil has been around for ages and is used in cooking.

If you mean CBD oil then you are taking Cannabis. It's just that cannabis was cultivated to produce higher levels of the chemical that gets you stoned whilst they reduced the CBD content. All growers are doing now is cultivating a plant that increases the CBD content and reduces the illegal element to below the % that constitutes it becoming an illegal drug.

I don't now about dogs but I've read a bit about it for humans and some companies are producing products that are do low in CBD that they are no use. The advice seemed to be you have to go with the more expensive reputable brands at the moment and also beware hemp oil products since hemp oil can also just be the old hemp oil without CBD.

You will need to be careful where you buy it from too because if it crosses a state where it is still illegal, won't local law take priority?

Hemp has its health benefits, lots of them, but not really for anxiety and stress etc. Unfortunately medical use for cancer patients has somewhat confused the two terms in recent years, as they wrongly (imo) call cannabis treatment 'hemp oil' treatment.

CBD is legal in the UK and I keep meaning to get some to try.

The CBD/THC ratios claimed for various strains of cannabis are usually just rough guesswork by the seed manufacturers. It can vary from plant to plant from the same seed batch. As far as I know there is only one scientifically proven standadised plant seed on the market that consistently gives an exact ration of 1:1 THC to CBD (8% of each). If I had some I wouldn't personally hesitate to give that to relatives or pets.

Interesting subject!

If you're talking about CBD oil, then it's perfectly fine for dogs. I know someone who gives it for his dog who has seizures, seems to help pretty well. People even give small amounts to kids with ADHD, as opposed to giving them amphetamines. Which is kind of the double standard here. Things like Ritalin are given to million of kids, but when people hear the word Cannabis then it's suddenly the end of the world.

Thanks, all. I do think it was CBD oil, if I remember correctly.

My dog hasn't been sleeping very well as of late, so I've got a call in to the vet to hear what she thinks. She hasn't replied quite yet though.

I bought some Rescue Remedy in the meantime. I gave him a few drops and it didn't seem to help, then the vet tech suggested I wait to talk to the vet in case it interferes with his medication. I'm hoping to suspend the drops in coconut oil and give it to him as a little treat, but we'll see.

We're working on some calming and settling exercises so hopefully they will help him too. His anxiety is just so intense, it can be hard to know how to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Thanks, all. I do think it was CBD oil, if I remember correctly.

My dog hasn't been sleeping very well as of late, so I've got a call in to the vet to hear what she thinks. She hasn't replied quite yet though.

I bought some Rescue Remedy in the meantime. I gave him a few drops and it didn't seem to help, then the vet tech suggested I wait to talk to the vet in case it interferes with his medication. I'm hoping to suspend the drops in coconut oil and give it to him as a little treat, but we'll see.

We're working on some calming and settling exercises so hopefully they will help him too. His anxiety is just so intense, it can be hard to know how to help him.
    Hi Poppy well I am surprized but there are different RR's there is one for night too And what do you call a few drops 2 or 3 when the fire work season starts my dog has a full pipete of RR or 5 or 6 drops in the water bowl, so glad you have got some as said before it's completely flower based and no nasty chemicals either you can also add to the drinking water too give a more potent effect It always best to give 20- 30 mins before say fire works go off so in you case if he goes to bed at 9pm give the RR 20-30 mins before he goes to bed I made mistakes when I had first got some 4 years ago and swore it was no good but I now swear by the product Good luck. Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information