Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, uh, cannabis oil?

Re: So, uh, cannabis oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hi Poppy well I am surprized but there are different RR's there is one for night too And what do you call a few drops 2 or 3 when the fire work season starts my dog has a full pipete of RR or 5 or 6 drops in the water bowl, so glad you have got some as said before it's completely flower based and no nasty chemicals either you can also add to the drinking water too give a more potent effect It always best to give 20- 30 mins before say fire works go off so in you case if he goes to bed at 9pm give the RR 20-30 mins before he goes to bed I made mistakes when I had first got some 4 years ago and swore it was no good but I now swear by the product Good luck. Cheers
    Thanks

I found a website that detailed the different types and what they were good for, so I ended up ordering the regular one, plus Elm and Cherry, though I'm still waiting for those two to be delivered.

I wish he were just afraid of fireworks, in fact, strangely enough fireworks, thunder, gunshots, etc. don't bother him. However, when it comes to cows, boxes, STRANGERS, strange smells, one of our other dogs, doors closing, trucks, strange things in the night...
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Thanks

I found a website that detailed the different types and what they were good for, so I ended up ordering the regular one, plus Elm and Cherry, though I'm still waiting for those two to be delivered.

I wish he were just afraid of fireworks, in fact, strangely enough fireworks, thunder, gunshots, etc. don't bother him. However, when it comes to cows, boxes, STRANGERS, strange smells, one of our other dogs, doors closing, trucks, strange things in the night...
    Hmm strange as you say when the noisest things like fireworks and thunder doesn't bother him?? Has he always had that fear and did you get him as a pup? The only thing what might be causing it is a either a ear infection (mites or excessive was build up in his ears) or a Hematoma My dog has this once and things that never ever bothered her like helicopters loud exhaust on cars and bikes started to affect her took her to the vets and yes she had a Hematoma. Basically do this test on your self speak a few words then with the palm of you hand flat cover your ear over and speak again notice the difference in the sound sort of resonates? So suggest you take to him to the vets to check his ear(s) out seriously After the Hematoma was sorted those things like I mentioned earlier stopped bothering her over night Just a thought Hope what ever it is is soon sorted Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hmm strange as you say when the noisest things like fireworks and thunder doesn't bother him?? Has he always had that fear and did you get him as a pup? The only thing what might be causing it is a either a ear infection (mites or excessive was build up in his ears) or a Hematoma My dog has this once and things that never ever bothered her like helicopters loud exhaust on cars and bikes started to affect her took her to the vets and yes she had a Hematoma. Basically do this test on your self speak a few words then with the palm of you hand flat cover your ear over and speak again notice the difference in the sound sort of resonates? So suggest you take to him to the vets to check his ear(s) out seriously After the Hematoma was sorted those things like I mentioned earlier stopped bothering her over night Just a thought Hope what ever it is is soon sorted Cheers
    I think it's the deep noise of trucks/tractors that scares him, but he's not at all bothered by other loud noises. It's strange. He's VERY reactive to scents; if something comes into the house that "smells funny" he goes off.

I've had him since he was 8 weeks. He's now almost 3 years. Some things have improved in that time - he used to be terrible with resource guarding and now controls it much better - but other things got worse. He wasn't always reactive to strangers but he never did like them much; he latched onto me when I first brought him home and refused to interact with anyone else for a good three months (which did wonders for my anxiety ).

He's had private training, group training, and multiple consults. I've considered taking him to a vet behaviorist but would have to drive 3 hours and am unsure if it's worth it or not. He takes flouxetine and trazodone but they help only minimally. It's hard because he's super duper reactive (barking/growling/lunging), has almost no impulse control (we're working on that one), but it's also very clear that these things make him upset as he will seek close contact/comfort and will cry when these things bother him.

He was a rescue dog and was pulled from a hoarder's house and put into the pound, then rescue when he was very young (like 6 weeks). There were SEVERAL other dogs pulled as well from this house. I'm guessing there was a good deal of inbreeding going on, but additionally I think he's just got a genetically weak temperament. On top of that I think life was very stressful for not only him, but his parents as well, and I've read that severe stress within the womb can cause all sorts of things to happen developmentally too.

Probably the hardest thing with it, though, is that he's so smart and so incredibly sweet. He's a Cocker mix and I've known some Cockers that were just nasty dogs in general - my Chisum isn't, he's just so scared of the world and figures a good offense is the best defense. He's so very loving and he tries so hard. If I ever had the chance to meet the woman who hoarded his family and brought him into this world, I think I'd punch her right in the face.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    I think it's the deep noise of trucks/tractors that scares him, but he's not at all bothered by other loud noises. It's strange. He's VERY reactive to scents; if something comes into the house that "smells funny" he goes off.

I've had him since he was 8 weeks. He's now almost 3 years. Some things have improved in that time - he used to be terrible with resource guarding and now controls it much better - but other things got worse. He wasn't always reactive to strangers but he never did like them much; he latched onto me when I first brought him home and refused to interact with anyone else for a good three months (which did wonders for my anxiety ).

He's had private training, group training, and multiple consults. I've considered taking him to a vet behaviorist but would have to drive 3 hours and am unsure if it's worth it or not. He takes flouxetine and trazodone but they help only minimally. It's hard because he's super duper reactive (barking/growling/lunging), has almost no impulse control (we're working on that one), but it's also very clear that these things make him upset as he will seek close contact/comfort and will cry when these things bother him.

He was a rescue dog and was pulled from a hoarder's house and put into the pound, then rescue when he was very young (like 6 weeks). There were SEVERAL other dogs pulled as well from this house. I'm guessing there was a good deal of inbreeding going on, but additionally I think he's just got a genetically weak temperament. On top of that I think life was very stressful for not only him, but his parents as well, and I've read that severe stress within the womb can cause all sorts of things to happen developmentally too.

Probably the hardest thing with it, though, is that he's so smart and so incredibly sweet. He's a Cocker mix and I've known some Cockers that were just nasty dogs in general - my Chisum isn't, he's just so scared of the world and figures a good offense is the best defense. He's so very loving and he tries so hard. If I ever had the chance to meet the woman who hoarded his family and brought him into this world, I think I'd punch her right in the face.
    That's such a shame but you are doing your best for him and yes it will have a effect on him whats happned in his early days pups aren't supposed to leave their mother and litter mates till 8 weeks as the interaction with the other pups is so important in life skills etc. Ahh Resource Guarding should not be tolerated and nipped in the bud ASAP my beautiful staffy at the age of 3 years decided not to let me have my chair back I nearly went for me I dealt with by using my eyes and body laungauge and pointed firmly to the floor and said OFF she has never done since and she is now 10 years old And I always from 8 weeks had no problem around her food bowl
    I can put my hand in her bowl while she is eating and no problems You said you have had many consults so has his ears been checked recently as sounds can amplify if there is something restricting the hearing! And yes I would join you on that stupid woman she sound horrible and I hope she was reported to the Authourites too Good luck Cheers

http://caregiversforlife.net/treatin...il/?ao_confirm
    I found a story using cannabis oil to cure pets For dogs: " start the treatment with two drops a day, once in the morning and once in the evening and then slightly increase the amount the dog is taking every four days until the dog is cured. As for treating the dog externally, all you have to do is apply the oil and cover it with a bandage and then apply more oil every three days"

I have recently started taking CBD oil. It is recommended for anxiety. It has the THC removed and is perfectly legal. I showed my doctor and he was quite keen for me to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I have recently started taking CBD oil. It is recommended for anxiety. It has the THC removed and is perfectly legal. I showed my doctor and he was quite keen for me to try it.
    Excellent news let us know how it goes for you after all it's from a plant!! I am surprized more anxiety ppl don't try it though, probably because of the stigma surrounding cannabis in general! Cheers

Will do I have only been taking it for a few weeks and although I am still anxious, I don't think the anxiety is as severe as it was and I am not experiencing the nausea that I usually get with anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual View Post
    If you're talking about CBD oil, then it's perfectly fine for dogs. I know someone who gives it for his dog who has seizures, seems to help pretty well. People even give small amounts to kids with ADHD, as opposed to giving them amphetamines. Which is kind of the double standard here. Things like Ritalin are given to million of kids, but when people hear the word Cannabis then it's suddenly the end of the world.
    Indeed, they prefer giving children amphetamines (speed/meth) over hemp, which is totally crazy.

I have ordered some CBD oil for my myself. If it's good enough for dogs then it will be good enough for me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information