Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep Getting Tonsilitis!

Keep Getting Tonsilitis!

I have had tonsililtis like 4 times in the past few months in fact im sure it never went! ive had loads of drugs penicillin and the like. im not working so im home all day whenever im out of work i always get ill! im sure its got something to do with it. i dont no what else to do?

im gargling TCP twice a day but can i do this along with antibiotics? also im scared it will turn into something more.. (im a worrier!!!) but ive read that it can turn into serious diseases

i dont know what else to do but i have no white bits on my tonsils (unlike before) but its really sore and the tonsils are enlarged but not much... is there anything i can do at all?

I'm reading all this stuff about how it can turn into these diseases and finding the syptoms like ive got these rashes come up and I found out that its linked to this and I cant stop worrying... i already was an active member but forgot my details and no longer use the email address i registered with.

anyways i need advice... is there anyone here that has recurring tonsililtis?

is tonsilitis a serious illness? my doctor keeps giving me anti's but then i sore another doc that said it wasnt bad enough to give antibiotics and if i'd of seen him he wouldnt of..

I'm just really worried that im going to die to be honest and that im going to get said disease :( and when i get better the tonsils get red raw again!

finally does anyone know anything other than the doc's meds that cures it and kills off the bateria?

Thanks Dan

Re: Keep Getting Tonsilitis!

I had recurrent sore throats for many years.

It got to the point that they were going to remove my tonsils but preferred not to at my age.

I now have the swallowing problem so feels like a constant sore throat.

Anti-b's never helped and mine just went in time - unlike the other problem.

Never considered it was anything sinister as the docs told me it was just recurrent sore throats.

Also there are degrees of tonsilitus - when I had it really bad I was so ill. I couldn't eat, swallow, was sick all the time and thought I was dying. Now I just get the milder version which is annoying but tolerable.

You can insist tonsils are taken out but personally that wasn't an option for me.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I used to get recurrent tonsillitis and it was simply due to being run down. Every time I overdid it (as a teenager, partying till all hours, not eating properly etc) I'd pay for it with a swollen throat and a week on antibiotics - guaranteed. This continued well into adulthood, if I got overtired etc.

It's pretty common to get ill when you're off work too (even just at weekends) - as soon as you stop your usual routine.

Try not to read too much into it all and take good care of yourself diet and sleep-wise. As far as I know, it's not dangerous and I've had it more times than I can remember. I don't get it any more as I look after myself better these days!

Eeb x

Dlou84,

Hello and welcome to the site

I'm about as big of a health worrier as you can get, but this is one thing that doesn't worry me. I've had recurrent tonsillitis off and on for just about as long as I can remember. Sometimes it's terrible and I'm gagging on the white bits, and sometimes it's really mild. It's rare that I will take anything for it or even go to the doctor for it. Other than an inconvenience at times, it's never a big problem for me.

Try not to worry, although I know that's easy to say! Take care!

-Reemy

Hi

I've been suffering with my tonsils for nearly eight years now - on to my fifth lot of antibiotics this year already. GP said she was going to send me to the local hospital for a camera investigation - as an emergency - and am still waiting nearly two weeks later.
    I'm terrified it is something horrible, even though I've been reassured that it is just one of those things. They are just huge!
    I'm 37 and too old to have them taken out but will I have to suffer like this forever?
    Ask for a throat swab to be taken as this can sometimes identify the bacteria causing the problem and more specific antibiotics can be prescribed.
    I think my problem is caused by anxiety and depression - it is a symptom of how I feel mentally......

Hope this has been some help.

Nic x

Hey.

I've had recurrent tonsillitis for years. It's a pain in the neck (literally), and sadly you can't do a whole lot about it.

I finally went private and the surgeon took one look and said they needed to come out. I've had a lot of ear infections because my tonsils are so big and scarred, and that's what started all my anxiety. Great!

However, the thought of a General Anaesthetic scared me far more than having tonsillitis, so my big ole' tonsils are still sitting there and asking to be scratched from time to time. I might have them out one day (I ended up having to be put to sleep for something else, and realised it wasn't so bad!)

I always gargle with aspirin when I get a bad throat. It doesn't do anything to cure it, but it does really help ease the pain. Also, have you tried a throat spray called 'Difflam'? You can buy it at the chemists and it's really good.

Hope you're feeling better xx
    Last edited by Dying_Swan; 24-03-14 at 13:32.

What are the diseases you can get from Tonsillitis? I'd be very interested to know (I'll probably freak out!!)

Anyway.....ttfn xx
    Last edited by Dying_Swan; 24-03-14 at 13:33.

thanks for the replies guys and girls erm they did the swab but its going to take 7 days to get the results in! :( also i was gargling tcp that day before the docs so im thinking that, that would of killed off any of the bateria present at the time. But will shall see, I can go for a blood test if I want and I think i might. I had one last time and it wasn't that bad but niether was my aniexty 2 years ago! lol... Also I took the penicillin last night, it was actually VK not V like i had last time even though the sticker says Pen V I took one and about an hour later got really hot in the face and my eye lids and lips started burning!!!! obviously i freaked out but i managed to get a nights sleep and woke up fairly ok! Im sure its to do with being indoors! as this happened last time i was out of work but never freaked out about it then, now in my life anything can start me off but thats a different problem for another post! So I have a appointment for monday not sure on the time yet! but I shall go see the other doctor and see what he said, last time he said it wasnt bad enough to give antibiotics which i was on at the time but said now that you have started them keep taking them. I'm not going to take any more Pen VK at the min I dont think, and I'll just wait to see my Doc. Do you think thats wise? I'm sure I just keep repicking it up via my old toothbrush or ust generally being in the same enviroment. I also found these which are very interesting

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=16747

and there was one about the reason we get more colds in the winter is because we spend most the time indoors and thats what I'm doing now and have been for the past few months!

Dan

Hey Dan.

They don't usually recommend you stop antibiotics in the middle, but perhaps there is something in them you are sensitive to. I don't want to 'advise' you because I'm not a Doctor. However, if it was me, I probably wouldn't take any more until you see the Doctor tomorrow.

I don't think you would pick things up from your toothbrush - you should be immune to past infections. But, there's no harm in chucking it away and getting a new one, just in case.

I think it's great that you had a swab taken. That way, they'll know exactly which bacteria is causing it, and then they can decide on the best antibiotics. You could consider having the blood test too, if you feel up to it.

You're probably right about being indoors. Exercise is great for strengthening your body, and so I suppose that includes your immune system (I should probably think about getting some!) Can you get into the garden for a bit? Just being outside might help you feel a bit better.

Good luck tomorrow - keep us posted!

xx
    Last edited by Dying_Swan; 24-03-14 at 13:34.

Well you must be a doctor because your right lol its got potassium in it.. erm i dunno what to do im googling again and i cant stop! lol

I'm just scared its going to turn into more just wana be normal again but even then i was never close to normal! lol..

My mind doesnt work like everyone else's i tend to think 10 times about things that the next man wouldnt even think once over!

but its just getting me down being ill and feeling like shit but not knowing the cause!?

Any huuu, the throat hasnt responded well to the antib's so I'm thinking it might be glandular fever.

So im gona go have a blood test and see

Wish me look!!!! as im bricking ittttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information