Thread: Do you think it is rude to not offer '+1' invites to all guests at a wedding?

Do you think it is rude to not offer '+1' invites to all guests at a wedding?

So I finally got around to sending out all my wedding invites and my partner's aunt and cousins received theirs today and on their invite I wrote the aunt and uncles name and the two cousins so they knew they were all invited and then I got a phone call from the eldest cousin (she is 18) asking if her invitation was 'plus 1' and if she could bring her boyfriend of a year (who me and my partner have never met) and I felt put in the spot when she asked but I told her the truth, its a small wedding with only 40 guests and the guest list is full now and I can't afford to add anyone else, which is true and then she asked how come some of my friend's could bring their partner's and I told her its because my friend's partners are also my friend's too and I know them all well. So she told me she wasn't going to go then, it would just be her mum and dad attending the wedding. I could understand her not going if she didn't know anyone at the wedding but all her family will be there.

Do you think its rude to not offer every guest a plus one? Or would you reserve it for certain people - those who maybe wont know anyone else at the wedding for example?

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Re: Do you think it is rude to not offer '+1' invites to all guests at a wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFish View Post
    Do you think its rude to not offer every guest a plus one? Or would you reserve it for certain people - those who maybe wont know anyone else at the wedding for example?
    Not at all! It's your wedding and you invite whom you want to invite"." (period!). Frankly, her response was uncalled for and selfish.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 16-01-17 at 21:12.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Do you think it is rude to not offer '+1' invites to all guests at a wedding?

I can see it from both sides as I've been invited to a wedding myself and my partner of 11 years hasn't, I don't want to go without him.

I agree it's your wedding and you should invite who you want, if she doesn't want to attend then that's one less person to pay for in my opinion. She could have offered to pay for her boyfriend if having him there was so important.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

I'd just like to add though, that my partner and I have a child together and my daughter was also invited which makes me feel like my partner has just been completely brushed off. I think it's a different circumstance to a boyfriend of 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    I think it's a different circumstance to a boyfriend of 1 year.
    That was my thought too. Especially someone they never met or maybe even knew about. If it were your situation KeeKee, I can definitely see your side.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I think as long as things are clear then thats not an issue.
    Weddings and families are difficult things to navigate.

People feel entitled when somebody has a wedding, for some reason. You won't miss your eldest cousin, trust me.

Thread Information