Thread: trazadone combination

trazadone combination

hi all

currently on 300 traz and 300 quetiapine, not really having much effect. The Psych is open to my suggestions so....has anyone any experience od adding another AD to trazadone?

Re: trazadone combination

Quote Originally Posted by Ojmit View Post
    has anyone any experience od adding another AD to trazadone?

What about taking trazodone to the maximum 400mg, maybe a little more first? Some of us just need to take around the maximum to get a response.

If this doesn't work then switching to something else which might would be better, imho, as just adding more and more meds isn't a good idea.

I assume trazodone and quetiapine aren't the first meds you've tried so what else have you taken, what was the maximum dose, how long did you take it at that dose and did it help at all?

over the years have tried many different ADs together with depakote, lithlum. nothing really seems to solve the anxiety, which is worse than the depression. seen my Psych today and am tapering off quetiapine with a view to adding anothet ssri to the trazodone. he is also willing to give me ect. only thing keeping me going is lorazapam. just want my life back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ojmit View Post
    over the years have tried many different ADs together with depakote, lithlum. nothing really seems to solve the anxiety, which is worse than the depression
    Have you tried one of the more potent of the tricyclic class antidepressants (TCAs) such as Anafranil (clomipramine), or Tofranil (imipramine)? If not, Anafranil is definitely worth a try. It is the most potent antidepressant currently available.

The TCAs Pamelor (nortriptyline) and Norpramin (desipramine) which primarily target noradrenaline, aka norepinephrine, reuptake rather than serotonin could be worth a shot too if you haven't already tried them.

If therapy is an option it should also be considered. The cognitive, and behavioural - CBT, REBT, etc - or mindfulness therapies can be at least as effective as medication.

Thread Information