Thread: Venlafaxine and nausea

Venlafaxine and nausea

I started the cross taper from Escitalopram to Venlafaxine yesterday, and today I've been having stomach ache, feeling unwell, spacey, and nauseous for hours. I've only taken half a 37.5 mg tablet, and wonder what it'll be like when I'm taking 2 tablets a day!
    Has anyone had any experiences with side-effects, and if so, when did the side-effects stop?

Re: Venlafaxine and nausea

Quote Originally Posted by ana View Post
    Has anyone had any experiences with side-effects, and if so, when did the side-effects stop?
    Nausea can be an initial antidepressant side-effect, a withdrawal symptom, or an anxiety symptom. All three may be a factor in your case. The side-effect is usually short-lived, a week or two, withdrawal might linger a little longer, but the anxiety driven nausea may continue until the med kicks-in which can take 3-12 weeks.

Ginger is usually helpful, as may vitamin B6 supplements which are often recommenced for morning sickness in pregnancy. If they prove inadequate see your doctor as there are more potent treatments available.

Thank you for replying. My therapist said the side-effects should diminish in about 7 to 10 days...or the worst of it at least.

The really bad nausea should pass relatively quickly, mine lasted 2-3 days, the occasional nauseous feeling that comes and goes might stick around for a while but it's nothing to be afraid of and you might not get it at all. Right now try to eat smaller, lighter meals so as not to overwhelm your body and take it easy. You'll be fine :-)

Thank you,mishas!
    You were absolutely right: the nausea was at its worst on day 2,but went away almost completely by day 4. I've since increased my dose to one whole tablet and haven't been having any issues. What does were/are you on?

Thread Information