Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoarding Problem

Hoarding Problem

Any Fellow hoarders here?? I have hoarded for years and years and its moved to each place I live in its soul destroying to say the least! I now physically canot move in my bed room and its killing me from within so basically I am after another fellow hoarder to help me in return with me helping them I admit I cant not do it on my own I am not ashamed of asking for some help.

Re: Hoarding Problem

I was married to a hoarder (yes, in some ways, like the TV show). It was extremely difficult to say the least and brings back some very disturbing times in my life. She stayed that way for many, many years after our divorce. It wasn't until she sought professional help and went on meds was she able to deal with it. My understanding from my children is that it's much better than before.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

hello,i too hoard things,but mine are not bags of rubbish like in that tv proramme,mine are dolls ornamentss jewerry(mostly cheap tat ive had over the last 30 years,plus tons of clothes as i always worry i wont be able to afford new ones,i also hoard baby clothes as i make dolls as a hobby from kits,my bedroom is terrible too,i get claustrophobic and get very overwhelmed by it all,at the same time the objects bring comfort to me,im alone apart from my three teenaged kids,ive had no partner for over 20 years so im very sad and lonely too.i know why i do it,its got worse since i lost my parents in 08 and 09,i lost my eldest son to meningitus in 98 but i wasnt hoarding then,my life had a partner in it it also had young kids to be there for,o although i mourned for my son,i still do to this day,this is worse now because my parents were not only my best freinds but i went everywhere with them,im now stuck in the house around 6 days a week,i cant go out on my own,i havent been out alone or on a bus in over 20 years, so your not alone i think there are more hoarders than people realize and for all differing reasons

Quote Originally Posted by lindadiana View Post
    hello,i too hoard things,but mine are not bags of rubbish like in that tv proramme,mine are dolls ornamentss jewerry(mostly cheap tat ive had over the last 30 years,plus tons of clothes as i always worry i wont be able to afford new ones,i also hoard baby clothes as i make dolls as a hobby from kits,my bedroom is terrible too,i get claustrophobic and get very overwhelmed by it all,at the same time the objects bring comfort to me,im alone apart from my three teenaged kids,ive had no partner for over 20 years so im very sad and lonely too.i know why i do it,its got worse since i lost my parents in 08 and 09,i lost my eldest son to meningitus in 98 but i wasnt hoarding then,my life had a partner in it it also had young kids to be there for,o although i mourned for my son,i still do to this day,this is worse now because my parents were not only my best freinds but i went everywhere with them,im now stuck in the house around 6 days a week,i cant go out on my own,i havent been out alone or on a bus in over 20 years, so your not alone i think there are more hoarders than people realize and for all differing reasons
    Hi lindadiana wow I am not alone on all counts So sorry to hear this, that's living hell off the rhicter scale I feel your pain I thought I had problems but that's horrendous!! How have you coped?? Feel free to Pm

---------- Post added at 18:42 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I was married to a hoarder (yes, in some ways, like the TV show). It was extremely difficult to say the least and brings back some very disturbing times in my life. She stayed that way for many, many years after our divorce. It wasn't until she sought professional help and went on meds was she able to deal with it. My understanding from my children is that it's much better than before.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts
    I can imagine and it gets worse every year it remains untreated even if you don't now actually hoard anymore more, it's still a nightmare as you still have to declutter if you want your life back on track? So yes we aren't alone thank you for your kind words too I am glad she is much better now than before, did you get back together? Cheers

thank you for your kind words,to be honest i really dont know how i coped or how to cope now,i also have a choking phobia so eat very little this in turn makes me lightheade and dizzy,i get dizzy with anxiety but i have also suffered with spinning and terrible other kinds of dizzines over the last 30 years,i had a blocked eustation tube one time that was really bad,im sat now lonely and afraid of all the feelings panic attacks can bring,i do feel better a few days of the week,but im on diazpam and have been since my son died,im addicted to them now so getting off them would need real support which i do not have acess to from anywhere,having said most of my problems im known for my sense of humour and making people laugh,so basically the clown of the family,but they do say clowns have sad real lives,ive read hundreds of posts on here ove the years and there are many way worse than i am, i feel really sorry for anyone with any kind of anxietys,i know that some peoples fears seem really strange,but they are very real to the sufferer we all need support at times no matter what they are or how it affects us,fear is fear and thank you,your reply was appreciated linda

I am a bit of a hoarder. They are mostly in the loft out of the way.
    I have a coat that is 25 years old. I took it to a shop to have it shortened so I can wear it again. I have made my house minimalistic, but homely. Does not take long for me to clean. I cannot do with clutter. I cannot breathe with lots of stuff around.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    did you get back together? Cheers
    I "was" married to an hoarder.... Unfortunately no. We had two young children at the time. The stuff was piled so high that there were "paths" to get through it. We went to counseling and after a couple of sessions, the counselor wanted to see us separately. She quit after two sessions. I knew then it was over. That was over 17 years ago. It's only been within the last few years that things have improved according to my kids.

I can say that it influenced me in a positive way as well as my kids as we're the total opposite. If I don't wear it or use in in a year? GONE!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi BigboyUK,

I know a few people that are serious hoarders to the point where they can't sit or get in to bed. On all accounts, it was all down to emotional situations.

It's not something in my opinion that can be cured overnight, it runs much deeper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by lindadiana View Post
    thank you for your kind words,to be honest i really dont know how i coped or how to cope now,i also have a choking phobia so eat very little this in turn makes me lightheade and dizzy,i get dizzy with anxiety but i have also suffered with spinning and terrible other kinds of dizzines over the last 30 years,i had a blocked eustation tube one time that was really bad,im sat now lonely and afraid of all the feelings panic attacks can bring,i do feel better a few days of the week,but im on diazpam and have been since my son died,im addicted to them now so getting off them would need real support which i do not have acess to from anywhere,having said most of my problems im known for my sense of humour and making people laugh,so basically the clown of the family,but they do say clowns have sad real lives,ive read hundreds of posts on here ove the years and there are many way worse than i am, i feel really sorry for anyone with any kind of anxietys,i know that some peoples fears seem really strange,but they are very real to the sufferer we all need support at times no matter what they are or how it affects us,fear is fear and thank you,your reply was appreciated linda
    That's ok Heck and you add to the list sorry to hear the loss of your son you hang on to the good memories these will help some what!!. and your choking phobia too.. and you are still completely alone?

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Hi BigboyUK,

I know a few people that are serious hoarders to the point where they can't sit or get in to bed. On all accounts, it was all down to emotional situations.

It's not something in my opinion that can be cured overnight, it runs much deeper than that.
    Ok aim bad very bad but don't like anything on my bed!! Totally 100% it is down to emotional situations I know personaly Cheers

Hi BigboyUK,

I am currently working on a sensitive and serious series about people struggling with hoarding disorder. We are looking for people who would be interested in featuring in our documentary series who are in need of help tackling their hoarding problem, offering free expert help to those featured.

If you would like to know more, with no obligation to take part it would be great to hear from you. You can reach me on contactblink(at)blinkfilmsuk.com

I look forward to hearing from you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information