Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beta blockers and anti depressants

Beta blockers and anti depressants

I need some help.
    I've had to stop propanolol because they think it's affecting my breathing badly, which I think it is buttt I've been off them a day and I've had a panic episode
    I am now so tired I need to sleep as usual after an attack,
    I tried the anti depressants for one day just to start and I have never felt so bad, I cannot take anymore of those! I was totally out of it. I felt dizzy and totally out of it.::
    I'm not sure what to do, help???

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Citalopram is the anti depressant I tried

Re: Beta blockers and anti depressants

Anit-depressants take a while to truly kick in. (weeks)

I wouldn't associate the feelings you had with taking the AD's.

As it is an issue surrounding medication, I cannot suggest anything.

Any idea what you were panicking about?

Thing is I don't have weeks - I couldn't be in a state like that for weeks I'll have no job left lol
    I panic about health anxiety sometimes physical sometimes mental I came out of it ok but without the propanolol it's so much harder

Will you get through your job with the panic attacks and anxiety?

Hi,

SLA is correct, it does take time for you to notice the anti-depressants working. I began taking mine (Sertraline) almost a month ago. I only started feeling positive effects recently. It can make you feel even more anxious in the beginning while your body is adjusting. That's how those SSRI's work. My doctor gave me something to help during the adjustment period. Maybe you should see your doctor and discuss this with him/her.

Oh, and since you are in the VirtualHugs section: here's your hug

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Will you get through your job with the panic attacks and anxiety?
    Honestly . I can't even face work anymore. I can face working just not there. No support, no help and there's so much pressure.
    That saddens me but I feel the triggers have a lot to do with the place.

I'm just worried, how can I be normal when these tablets make me like a zombie all day. What did they give you to help you through and what feelings did it help with?!

Thank you for my hug much needed

I take beta blockers, I used to take propranolol at 80mg, then at 40mg before being changed to another beta blocker called Bisoprolol. Apparently you can't take them if you have asthma or any other respiratory condition, which I haven't, and have to say that propranolol made me quite a bit breathless all the time I took it. Bisoprolol on the other hand doesn't seem to have this side effect thankfully. I take them to calm my palpitations down which they do really well. I wouldn't be without them.

I'm not sure about taking beta blockers in combination with anti depressants, because I don't know much about them, my other med is levothyroxine for an underactive thyroid which wouldn't cause problems anyway. I'm surprised the doctor didn't suggest a different beta blocker tbh, just to try. Propranolol is the oldest of them, been around a very long time whereas some of the others are fairly new in comparison.

ISB

Actually you can take a beta blocker with asthma. At least I hope so as I have asthma and take Carvedilol. When a new Dr. realized I was taking BP medication and anxiety medication, they switched it up to include a beta blocker which for me has been great.

Always discuss medical concerns with your Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonian View Post
    Actually you can take a beta blocker with asthma. At least I hope so as I have asthma and take Carvedilol. When a new Dr. realized I was taking BP medication and anxiety medication, they switched it up to include a beta blocker which for me has been great.
    You can take any of them with asthma as long as the medical benefit outweighs the risk. Usually though this means those that are contraindicated with asthma are avoided. Beta blockers are in more than one class and one of those classes is safe for use with asthma.

This may all change in the future anyway since there has been research indicating asthma wasn't triggered by the class that is seen as the problem. Until then though, that class of them carry a Major interaction warning so they will be avoided unless there is no alternative and the risk is outweighed by the benefit.

Pythonian, then it must just be propranolol. There is a warning in the packet information leaflet not to take it if you have asthma. As I said, I took this beta blocker for some time and Im not mistaken about reading that.

ISB
    Last edited by Catherine S; 20-01-17 at 13:37.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information