Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beta blockers and anti depressants

Re: Beta blockers and anti depressants

Never knew that about some forms of beta blockers.

Always discuss medical concerns with your Dr.

Yeah, Propranolol is on the "do not use" interaction list.

I think it's type A and type B beta blockers. There is a list of the safe ones on Wiki. It's the cardioselective that are used with asthma, the non selective being the problem ones. If you have any concerns I would voice them to your doctor because they weigh up the benefits too.

It's interesting also because they are testing using beta blockers as an alternative to asthma meds. I came across a study of that when I was checking this issue out on another thread about them.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 21-01-17 at 05:29.

It's annoying really - I feel as though I could get trough this with the beta blockers alone and work on myself without using the anti depressants- I really do not want to use then! I felt just as good with St. John's wort and the anti depressants make me feel just so so poorly, completely off my face and not myself at all .. I don't think I can do that for weeks on end I will lose my job.. they've already told me they are concerned and want me to think about wether I should stay if I'm feeling so unwell

Alex, did you mention St.John's Wort before? I missed that part sorry. Can I ask why you gave up taking it if you were doing so well on it?

ISB

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    Alex, did you mention St.John's Wort before? I missed that part sorry. Can I ask why you gave up taking it if you were doing so well on it?

ISB
    The doctor actually said well we know how citalopram works so it's better you take that .. I was thinking whattt?! Choosing an anti depressant over something herbal.
    I guess to then it makes sense to use something they know will work for sure and they can monitor but surely I shouldn't take it if I'm not desperate?!?

Alex, your life and how you live it is your choice not the doctors. Your body is yours and only you know what you can tolerate and what you can't. Antidepressants are a big leap from herbals, they are heavy duty mind altering drugs compared to herbals and beta blockers.

I don't know your mental health history, and there may be a good reason for your doctor to prescribe ADS, but ultimately it's your own choice whether you go on with them or choose to take something that you know works for you.

ISB x

Herbals haven't been subject to rigorous clinical testing and sign off by our health authorities. The quality of what is even in them isn't subject to much regulation.

A doctor will go with science and the legal cover provided by MHRA and NHS as well as NICE. He has no idea what is in a herbal.

That's all that is. That being said, I'm very open to them but I'm careful with any research of things I take.

Sadly, antidepressants can be easy to start on or they can be hell for months. It's usually somewhere between.

And if a GP thinks we know truly how some of these meds work, they might want to update the experts across the world on that one. Some of the science had changed over the years and these meds were never designed for anxiety so research seems to be ongoing still.

I think think about it like - the anxiety is created by my mind (mostly health anxiety) and I know that I need to stop thinking that way to get rid of the anxiety. I almost don't want the anti depressants because I don't want them to change the way I feel because I NEED to change the way I think to really get rid of the anxiety. So I try and do things when I get chest pain like stay out away from home, I know it's there but I think "your not my heart, your a product of my anxiety so I'm not just going home" everything I've been doing like disappearing from a situation is because I'm scared I'll die .. I can't live lke this!
    I need to get a grip on it.. I've had three ecgs
    An MRI bloods two times .. two ambulances .. a million doctors appointments, I need to take control before it ruins everything I've built for myself.
    I think your right that if the herbals work right now just go for it ..
    if things get worse I'll go back to the doctor but for now I wana try to help myself a bit... I think that's a good idea?!? Right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information