Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: valium the only thing that helps??

valium the only thing that helps??

Hi, for the past few months I've been prescribed Valium for panic attacks and intense panic attacks. I read that it's a short term solution but I honestly feel like it's the only thing that will help me with my anxiety. I don't see the harm in it if it's preventing me from taking panic attacks?? i'm not on big doses, 5mg at a time.

Re: valium the only thing that helps??

Quote Originally Posted by SamRichy View Post
    I don't see the harm in it if it's preventing me from taking panic attacks??
    I'm surprised you were prescribed diazepam. I thought benzodiazepines (BZDs) were considered Satan's spawn by the NHS. And that is probably the biggest issue with BZDs, the fact there is no guarantee you will find a doctor willing to prescribe them tomorrow. Even if yours is, s/he may change his mind, move, or fall under the proverbial bus and the replacement may be far less willing.

Antidepressants and/or therapy can be at least as effective as BZDs and are the better treatment options.

How about working on your mindset?

It is not as easy as that SLA.

It's kind of my pet hate when people say that.

I never said it was easy.

While valium seems like an easy option, it becomes a lot harder once you become dependant, then realise that your quality of life is actually reduced, and getting off valium is 1000% more anxiety inducing than anxiety on its own.

The only real solution is to become self-aware, and to work on improving all aspects of your life by monitoring your thoughts and physical symptoms.

To those people that say...

It is not as easy as that
    Living with anxiety is hard, and it gets a lot harder if you never try and fix the underlying problem.
    Last edited by SLA; 22-01-17 at 18:50.

Valium sort of got me into the problem I have now with panic attacks. I wish I had never taken them. I took them for 7 month on average 20mgs a day or so. After my mother had a heart attack in front of me I looked for a crutch to help me cope. My GP did not warn me to discontinue slowy and I stopped it abrubtly. It was only after that that I learned about the Ashton method of slow tapering. That is when panic attacks from hell hit me along with muscle spasms and cramping. I now have breathing problems from it as I would hyperventilate something terribe. It also has left me with shallow breathing. I am told these symtoms will eventually go away but it can take years. Nearly 4 years and I still have the shallow breathing and am ocd about it. It is a strong cns depressant and if not tappered off cautiously will wreak havoc on your nervous system if you take them for a long time and stop..not to mention the insomnia that comes with stopping because your brain chemicals deprressed which are the gaba ones suddenly spring to life again..it takes a good while to get back to normal--and then there is the depression which in my case was severe and you may end up on an anti depressant then as its what they use to treat the depression caused by stopping benzos.

I think like panic down under said a better option is a low dose anti deprssant rather than diazepam. And like SLA saind, the anxiety you feel aafter leaving the diaz is 10 times worse that the anxiety you are dealling with now...As your body builds up tolerance you may need more and more... While I am sure they have a discontinuation downside they will in no way be as severve as the diazepam. I know a few people who have been taking diazapam for 20 years and they will be on them for life probably. I guess in the end its up to you to weigh the pros and cons of taking them as its your choice. 5 mgs is a low dose and any withdrawals should be considerably less. Wishing you all the best.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm
    Last edited by Barnabas75; 22-01-17 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    It's kind of my pet hate when people say that.

I never said it was easy.

While valium seems like an easy option, it becomes a lot harder once you become dependant, then realise that your quality of life is actually reduced, and getting off valium is 1000% more anxiety inducing than anxiety on its own.

The only real solution is to become self-aware, and to work on improving all aspects of your life by monitoring your thoughts and physical symptoms.

To those people that say...

Living with anxiety is hard, and it gets a lot harder if you never try and fix the underlying problem.
    Of course this is true but for a lot of people who have had an entrenched anxiety disorder for decades generic advice may appear a little simplistic. I think you have to take into account life circumstances -which may be very challenging-and the duration of the anxiety disorder. It's never too late to make a difference to your life but it's a hell of a lot harder when you've been trying your best for years and years

Quote Originally Posted by SamRichy View Post
    Hi, for the past few months I've been prescribed Valium for panic attacks and intense panic attacks. I read that it's a short term solution but I honestly feel like it's the only thing that will help me with my anxiety. I don't see the harm in it if it's preventing me from taking panic attacks?? i'm not on big doses, 5mg at a time.
    It's such a tricky one they are so affective but addictive and you build a tolerance, so you end up needing more and more. I've been prescribed it recently for some medical procedures. My doctor only gives me four 5mg tabs and I have to phone him every time I'm having my next procedure to get more. I've suffered from bad anxiety/panic for 11 years, and it's the only medication I've used that I can honestly say has relieved any of my anxiety. It's not very common for a doctor to prescribe them for you to take on a regular basis, but s/he knows you best, and as long as s/he is happy to monitor and work closely with you then go with it.

Thats good then. 'Path of least resistance' and all of that.

My daughter is autistic and is prescribed diazepam for those times when changing her mindset goes out the window..along with everything else. It is used for emergencies and appropriately and it works to take the edge off. In my opinion diazepam is invaluable for these times. I have also had it myself when hospitalised with severe anxiety and I found it made me feel human again. Is it a cop out? The easy option? I know you think it is but again I think life circumstances comes into it

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information