Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: valium the only thing that helps??

Re: valium the only thing that helps??

Quote Originally Posted by Pental08 View Post
    He says yes Were going to carry on working with my issues - but that i need a good Benzo to make the therapy)
    He might be right.

However, he could also be wrong. There is some evidence therapy works by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) in the hippocampal regions of the brain. This is the same mechanism by which antidepressants seem to work. The problem is that benzodiazepines inhibit hippocampal neurogenesis (see: Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008).

But the only way of knowing whether a benzodiazepine may aid the effectiveness of your therapy is to try it.

oh and I'm on long-term ssri's which don't touch the sides
    If your SSRI isn't working then there is no point in taking it? Which med are you on, how much are you taking and how long have you been at this dose?

Hi I'm on 100mg Sertraline - I was on 200mg and have slowly come off - because the are ineffective, they work - to a degree - but not enough -the levels of anxiety I live with on a day to day basis are not functioning levels!

My psychiatrist is just a therapist and not a medical prescribing one - although he knows of one and is keen of me to see him....obviosuly I want to go the cheaper route first!

Quote Originally Posted by Pental08 View Post
    Hi I'm on 100mg Sertraline - I was on 200mg and have slowly come off - because the are ineffective, they work - to a degree - but not enough -the levels of anxiety I live with on a day to day basis are not functioning levels!

My psychiatrist is just a therapist and not a medical prescribing one - although he knows of one and is keen of me to see him....obviosuly I want to go the cheaper route first!
    If sertraline is working to some extent I'd be thinking about adding the noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor nortriptyline (Pamelor) to create a bespoke SNRI. This was often used for treatment resistant depression back in the day and should work just as well for anxiety. However, as I understand it NHS GPs can only prescribe one antidepressant at a time so you'd need to see a psychiatrist, or go private.

The best single med alternatives would be either the TCAs imipramine (Tofranil) and clomipramine (Anafranil), or the SNRI duloxetine (Cymbalta).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information