Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good nutrition and cutting out sugar & caffeine has worked wonders

Good nutrition and cutting out sugar & caffeine has worked wonders

Hi guys,

I've let anxiety dominate me for most of my life, and stuttering is sort of a byproduct from it too. Over the years I analyzed every aspect of it and tried many, many "solutions". Particularly mindfulness, meditation etc, essentially trying to rewire my brain to not constantly be thinking. However, these methods may have gave temporary results but nothing stuck long-term and I'd fall back into my old ways.

Recently I was watching something, and it just emphasized the importance of nutrition to me. Most of the functions that our body carries out, especially brain functions are fueled by the food we stick in our bodies, right? Yet we pump it full of garbage by eating junk food and wonder why our brain isn't functioning effectively.

So after this epiphany, I decided to work on my nutrition. I've cut out caffeine COMPLETELY and have minimal sugar intake. I still get natural sugars from fruit and such, but stay away from the processed stuff which can be really tough at first. But after a week I'd say the cravings went away.

After a week, I noticed that my energy levels were so much more consistent. I'd wake up feeling energized and could maintain this state throughout the whole day. Previously my energy came in unpredictable spikes which seemed to dictate my anxiety levels and brain clarity also.

I generally just feel calmer, and more in control. I still have days where I stutter, but it doesn't bother me so much because of the absence of worry and anxiety. I'm not saying this is a miracle solution, I'm fairly sure the anxiety will still linger to an extent. But it definitely has improved my outlook on life.

So give it a go guys! What have you got to lose? Not to mention you're healthier and it can improve your appearance! Try having a "ZERO SUGAR, ZERO CAFFEINE MONTH" and see how you feel afterwards.

Re: Good nutrition and cutting out sugar & caffeine has worked wonders

Do you still eat biscuits & cake or is it adding sugar to tea, cereal etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucinda07 View Post
    Do you still eat biscuits & cake or is it adding sugar to tea, cereal etc?
    Nope, nothing like that. (Sorry! :P) No chocolate, cereals, biscuits, cakes, fruit juices. Definitely no fizzy drinks! It's crazy how much sugar the companies actually pump into their products. And being that sugar is kind of a "quick release" of energy, it's no wonder that our energy levels, moods, emotions and anxiety levels are fluctuating all over the place. These aren't stable fuel sources!

Even things like white bread and pasta should be avoided. These are simple carbohydrates, quick releases similar to sugar in a way. Stick with the wholemeal bread and pasta.

It's tough to quit it all, I'm not gonna lie. But after the first week or so the cravings definitely get lower until you don't even have them at all. And when you realize it's actually helping your life then the motivation just comes naturally.

It is a great reminder, and anyone who has anxiety and still ignores this advice is doing themselves a great disservice.

Add in some decent exercise, and you can still treat yourself to a biscuit, or a teaspoon of sugar in your tea.

It's all about balance.

Interesting Thread.
    Geralt, you mention that many food products have had sugar pumped into them. NHS Choices recommends no more than 30 grams of sugar/day.
    The Eat Natural fruit/nut bar in front of me contains more than 15g! Not as healthy as one would hope, & I buy these because other brands were too sweet! A packet of nuts & dried fruit would be better!

There is a difference between sugars though. I imagine the sugars in the fruit bars are from the fruit, and that none have been added.

It's "added sugar" that is generally the main problem, and which we should look to reduce.

Natural sugars from fruits are fine.

Yeah it's tough to know what actually is good and bad sugar without delving pretty deep into the nutrition of everything you eat.

I'm just staying away from the obvious ones (and arguably the most delicious haha..) fizzy drinks, chocolates, cakes etc.. But I have stopped white bread/pasta also, wholemeal is definitely the way forward.

But as you said Lucinda, it can be really deceiving what is in your food. What can seemingly be an innocent snack could be loaded with sugar which could send your energy levels all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    There is a difference between sugars though. I imagine the sugars in the fruit bars are from the fruit, and that none have been added.

It's "added sugar" that is generally the main problem, and which we should look to reduce.

Natural sugars from fruits are fine.
    The ditch sugar books say fructose needs to go too. Fruits get categorised based on their high or low fructose to allow for phasing out rather than immediate elimination.

Sugar Free Farm on TV is saying to ditch milk sugar.

It depends if you want to go sugar free.

Added sugars can be worse in health products, it was one of the cons.

Low fat products are often compensated with higher sugar. They do that in milk products like yoghurt. I did find a high protein cheddar though that is low in both so there are things out there but as ever it hits your wallet.

If you going by the NHS website Lucinda referred to then they say its fine.

I couldn't imagine cutting out sugar to that degree to be honest. I wouldn't have any energy to actually do anything.

Sugar is sugar wherever it comes from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information