Thread: Low iron

Low iron

Hello guys,

This is my first post on No More Panic. I've been reading for a while but my health anxiety is through the roof today and I just need to share. I'm female and 35 years old.

6 months ago I was diagnosed with low iron levels after a routine blood test. I think they were at around 43 which my doctor considered to be at the lower end of the 'normal' scale. He immediately went on a rant about how I would need to get a colonoscopy if they don't improve. He also made me give stool samples to rule out bleeding. One of three samples did come back positive for blood unfortunately. It was only later that day that I realised that I had some pre-period spotting. So the sample might have been positive due to that. Who knows.

He sent me on my way without any further instructions or supplements and ordered another blood test for January. I had that done last Friday and tomorrow I will have to go in and discuss my results with him. And I'm TERRIFIED. I have been feeling some fatigue over the last months and a couple of weeks ago I suddenly started getting heart palpitations. So I've now convinced myself that the result won't be great. My doctor has already made it clear that he doesn't believe in upping iron levels with nutrition and he seems to think that the supplements won't help either. He's made it very clear that extensive GI tests are in order if my iron doesn't improve. I have a major fear of colon cancer so you can imagine how I felt when he started talking about internal bleeding.

I'm just at a loss because I feel like he never gave me a chance or support to try and get my iron levels up. I had gone on a 1200 calorie/day diet about a year before the test and was convinced that the low iron was caused by that. But he dismissed this suggestion. I'm a woman but have fairly light periods, so I guess that cause can be ruled out.

I'm so worried about that consultation tomorrow and what might come after.

Re: Low iron

Hello,
    So he doesnt believe in supplementation ( dietary or medical) but expect your levels to improve magically lol ehat a joke of a doctor he sounds... i went on a very low calories diet and my vit d was almost non existant but was told that i was fine until i kicked a fuss and changed doctor.... you should do the same i dont even understand why he would go to the colonoscopy route straight away without further trials ( supplementing ) or even history of previous problems... my advice get some feroglobin ( in the meantime) and change doctor ASAP ...you are fine i used to get palpitations when my iron was also low during my pregnancy ita totally normal some people get them some not even when the levels AREN'T DANGEROUSLY LOW

He seems to be interested in the cause and nothing else. I guess he thinks that once the cause (an ulcer, bleeding colon, whatever) is treated, the iron levels won't be an issue anymore. I kind of get his reasoning, in a way. However, I have ZERO GI problems. I'm a hypochondriac, so I'd know if something wasn't feeling right. At the same time, of course I can't rule out internal bleeding. Him even suggesting that has sent me into a health anxiety meltdown.

Unless there's trauma or previous GI problems why would you have internal bleeding

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 ----------

So will he believe in supplementation once all the tests comes out negative?

Anemia is common in women who still get their periods. There are tons of reasons for it and it's odd that your Dr would jump to needing a colonoscopy.

I honestly think it's a Swiss thing. The health system in Switzerland is all about money, crazy expensive and really screwed up. I am insured very well and every time a hospital can do tests on me or a doctor can refer me, the insurance pays them big bucks. Swiss hospitals love doing gratuitous MRIs to 'rule things out' just to pay for the MRI machine. It's a well known fact and it's infuriating. So I'm not surprised that he would order these kind of procedures for me. Also, they prefer iron infusions over here, for some reasons. Not something I am massively keen on either.

The whole system is a bit of a nightmare for hypochondriacs, to be honest. Or a dream come true, if you really like additional tests to put your mind at ease lol.

Thread Information