Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the root your health anxiety

What is the root your health anxiety

My health anxiety began after the death my brother. I was wondering how everyone else developed their HA?

Re: What is the root your health anxiety

mine started for such a stupid reason. one day i felt a pain in my back i looked on the internet and it says it could be a lungs cancer. since that day my life completely changed and i never stop worrying about that cancer.

Im not certain exactly WHAT the trigger was but I clearly remember when it stopped being an annoyance and became a significant impact on my thoughts and behaviors and that was after my last visit to my parents/grandparents

I had hard palpitations that triggered a panic attack that seemed to last for days and I had to keep it together and drive 12 hrs home.

needless to say it was top 5 worst things I have ever had to endure and it has persisted for about 2 1/2 years now.

BUT....

I am on medications now, and about to start CBT so although I have good days and bad, today being not so good, I think i have more good than bad.

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

Idk what started mine I just remembered googling stuff then j started to get chest pains. And woke up with a panic attack one day and ended up in the ER for chest pains and told I had GAD. After that it's been downhill really. Going from one thing to another and trying to listen to family, friends, and DR that say I'm fine.

Menopause started mine off. Apparently it is very common to develop HA during the menopause - who knew?

I don't think one particular event started my HA, but two things that come to mind, one was when I thought I was having a heart attack, I actually had trapped gas, which mimics a heart attack. The other is, I started taking a medication for Crohn's disease (I have had crohns for over 20 years), and it has a small chance of increasing risk of certain cancers (if normal risk is 1%, my risk is 2%, so not a big jump), that causes major cancer HA. So I pretty much go back and forth with heart and cancer HA, but for the last 2 years, it's mainly cancer HA. Also, becoming a mom, has made me worried I won't see my son grow up.

I didn't have a particular environmental trigger but I inherited OCD and health Anxiety from my dad. He has been "dying" from a non existent brain tumour since he was 40. He's now almost 70.

mine media, Internet and my Dad being sent his poop testing kit for bowel cancer 5 years ago

Also getting letters in the post going for this test and that because of my NF, also now I got a letter saying I need my bloods redone
    Last edited by unsure_about_this; 27-01-17 at 21:46.

My HA started when I was little, maybe 6 or 7. My family didn't have much money, and my mother often supplemented doctor visits with the information in a medical book she "borrowed" from the library. Not having the proper training caused her to overreact, which would later resonate with me, and manifest into a full blown anxiety cocktail....that is GAD, HA, OCD and now PTSD, but that's another story entirely. My HA wasn't overbearing when I was younger, like it is now. I have the Google machine and my lackof self-control to thank for that.

Mine also started when I was very young. I believe it was due to:

1. close family members suffering from health anxiety/ possible genetic predisposition

and 2. being a precocious reader. There were medical texts kept in our home, and I read them, and subsequently developed fears about and psychosomatic symptoms of the diseases they described. My family was also partial to medical novels- I recall reading Robin Cook's "Fever" as a child (it was about a little girl just my age who had leukemia), as well as some book called "Children's Hospital", which described all sorts of diseases for me to worry about (for awhile, I was sure I had Cystic Fibrosis).

So, that's where I think my anxiety started. There were never any deaths or serious illnesses in my family, and still haven't been. For a bunch of people obsessed with diseases, we've been remarkably healthy, actually.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information