Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: odd feeling

Hi there,

You should read 'Nausea' by Jean Paul Sartre. Sounds like you had an existential experience.

I've definitely experienced them too.

quote:Originally posted by kd

Hi there,

You should read 'Nausea' by Jean Paul Sartre. Sounds like you had an existential experience.

I've definitely experienced them too.
    Hi, thanks for the tip..
    when you experienced these feelings, did they make you freak out?...it was the "existential experience" that kicked off my panic attacks in the first place, and it soon developed into the obsessive condition that i described in my first post...how did you cope with it?

JD

These "existential feeling" come over you like a flash and suddnely you thik "I exist" its quite surreal and very hard to describe when you're not experiencing it. When you're going about your usual thyings you don't really think about it, but it can come over you suddenly. I can't really explain anymore, perhaps rather than it being the precursor to your panic attacks, maybe the panic caused the feeling.

Maybe like me you're just incredibly self aware. Sometimes i wish I ould forget myself and relax but i always feel 'very there' and stared at etc.

I suffer from this and have read about it. It occurs when you live 'too much inside your head', something that is warned against in many Eastern religions and practices. The suggestions are that you do something as simple as exercise or read or watch a film - anything that takes you away from just 'thinking' about yourself too much.

quote:Originally posted by kd

These "existential feeling" come over you like a flash and suddnely you thik "I exist" its quite surreal and very hard to describe when you're not experiencing it. When you're going about your usual thyings you don't really think about it, but it can come over you suddenly. I can't really explain anymore, perhaps rather than it being the precursor to your panic attacks, maybe the panic caused the feeling.

Maybe like me you're just incredibly self aware. Sometimes i wish I ould forget myself and relax but i always feel 'very there' and stared at etc.
    Hi,

what you've described (& Twister's reply) sounds exactly like what i'm going through..i know what you mean about the feelings coming very suddenly..that's probably one of the worst parts. I sometimes 'forget' about it for a few moments but then when i'm doing things as usual the dreaded thought comes back..really frustrating, and i feel so overwhelmed by it and like i need to escape from my skin. Did either of you see a doctor about it? What advice did they give you? My doctor just dismissed it as "anxiety" problems (and put me on sertraline), and the councellor i've been seeing thinks i'm clinically depressed. No-one seems to understand what i'm talking about. They just latch on to the phrase "panic attack"..i find it really difficult to describe to them this "awareness of existing".

JD.xx

Hi, perhaps you should do some research on the internet about it. I do recommend reasding that book and then you may be able to see it as a postive thing. The lead character likes these feelings.

They're probably very normal. Try not to worry about it too much, and just accept that they come from time to time. I have a problem like you, of dwelling on things too much. I worry about worrying etc.

hello everyone,i find this topic very interesting,as it kind of covers quite a range of issues about perceptions of reality.i have anxiety and ocd and have had these what you call existential experiences,although i had them before i had my problems.im an artist(i dont have exhibitions or anything)but i realise that if we all have a gift then mines art.so i kind of think i see things differently,maybe it is being more aware of existence,which could work either way i suppose.when i dwell on the negative aspects of reality,i would say i would feel it more,as probably most of yourselves do.however i feel i can appreciate reality on a wide scale,and can get very spiritual experiences,(mystic,artistic,romantic,whatever your preferred choice of word is).im not sure if ive offered anything in the way of advice,but its definately interesting to read other stories.all the best[^] paul

hi all, only just found this site. hooray there is people like me. i have had depression, panick attacks and recently post natal depression. I thought id got better when i startred getting unwanted thoughts about my self and people i love. i have a 6 month old baby and have bad thoughts about him to, i then spend time thinking im bad and going mad. i constantly check on him in bed. I feel trapped in my head, ive omly told my partner as no one else would understand. im on waiting list for cnt, a year, i wont go on tablets as side effects scare me. i went on seroxat few years ago they helped but dont want to go on again, any one no what im going through? im a loving person and wouldnt want bad things to happen so why am i getting this? april

April tones,

I think you would be surprised at how many people would understand. Start with your health visitor as they are there to help you (mines is great)I was alos diagnosed with PND when my baby was (about) 3 months old and i was petrified I was going to freek out and hurt him. The health visitor did not think i was a threat or a raving looney as i thought she might. the fact that you are getting upset about your thoughts shows you are not a a bad person.
    I also refused anti depressants as the side effects scared me senseless.

the good thing (and this might sound starnge) is that you cannot avoid your baby so this aprticular anxiety will go away quickly.

Remeber they are only thoughts and can't hurt you. I know how scary they are.

have you spoken to your HV??

Lucky

April and Lucky,

I too had PND and couldn't look after my daughter properly.

I felt terribly guilty cos I felt that I didn't want her.

Hubby and my mom looked after her mostly.

My friend had also had her second baby around the same time as me. One day I asked her if she ever wished she hadn't had her baby.

She was shocked and told me to go see my doc.

My daughter was about 6 weeks old by then. I suddenly relised that I DID want her and was terrified that I would have both her and my son taken away from me.

Anyway, I went to the doc who gave me anti d's and never once mentioned taking the kids away from me!

I took the anti d's for about 6 months and suddenly the depression lifted and I was able to give my daughter all the love that I could.

Just writing this has made me cry. I still feel terrible guilt over how I felt, and that was over 12 years ago.

I know I over spoil her now in an attempt to somehow make up for my feelings when she was born.

In consequence, she has grown up to be a spoilt little madam who has little respect for me.

Anyway, April, I would seriously consider being put on meds as they helped me enormously, though the decision is of course yours.

Take care

Kate x

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information