Thread: Will it Ever Go Away?

Will it Ever Go Away?

Hi everyone,

Not sure why I am writing this post - having a really difficult period at the moment and suppose I just wanted some reassurance that I won't feel like this forever?
    I have had severe anxiety for approx three years - which I thought I could deal with, but it seems to just get worse by the day. I have had underlying anxiety for a lot longer - but just willed myself to keep it hidden i think?

My anxiety isn't about things that could happen to me - I worry about my children and feel a huge responsibility to keep them safe and healthy.

I suppose it was triggered when I had massive problems with my first pregnancy. Our unborn baby was diagnosed with a significant brain development issue at 20 weeks. We made a heartbreaking decision to have a termination (a decision I regret every day) - that was nearly ten years ago.

We were blessed to have two amazing, healthy children a couple of years later. My problem is that I feel a constant pressure to keep them safe and healthy.

My real severe anxiety issues started with anxiety about asbestos and have spiralled to so much more......

The back-story is that I had to write a feature for my work (I am a writer) about asbestos training courses. It triggered a worry that the insulation in my loft may contain asbestos....... it didn't.....

I had so many asbestos tests done on our previous house (all of which came back negative) - but that didn't stop me worrying.
    I moved my daughter's school (she was in a 70s build which had a lot of asbestos in it)
    We moved house anyway because I couldn't control my worrying - to a new build
    I got rid of all my furniture and bought new during the move.

Despite all of this - my anxiety gets worse and worse...
    I worry about my children's health and well-being so much, that a lot of the time, it is stopping me from enjoying being their mummy.

My worries have moved on now.....
    I still worry that they will encounter asbestos (when they're out and about / at school / walking down the street etc)
    I also now worry about what they're eating (so many scare stories about what food / drinks etc can cause cancer / palm oil / not getting enough veggies etc)
    I worry about flouride in their toothpaste
    I worry about low level radiation (from our smart meter, wifi router etc)
    And more......

I am driving myself mad.......
    I avoid places (even homes of certain family members in case of asbestos), I don't buy certain foods and now I am worried about my youngest child's bedroom because it is closest to the smart meter.

My husband is totally fed up with me and tries to understand, but can't.
    I feel I can't talk to anyone else - because they will think I am totally mad.....

Have tried CBT through local GP a few years ago - but no help at the time.
    Also paid for my own therapy sessions - just a general talking therapy a couple of years back - but was v expensive.

I want to get back to a place where I can enjoy my life and my family life - without looking around me, being over vigilant and seeing a catastrophe in every situation. But, at the same time I feel like as long as I am being vigilant, that I am making my best effort to keep my children safe.....

So sorry for the ramble.......and thank you if you managed to get to the end! I really haven't got anyone to talk to about this.

I just wanted to say hello and read through some of the inspirational stories of other anxiety sufferers, hoping maybe one day I won't feel like I do today.

XXXX

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya RD and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Will it Ever Go Away?

Hi RD, thanks for sharing your story.

Do you think it would be fair to say that your worries are more like OCD issues, than anxiety?

There is an obvious overlap, but for someone who has had similar worries (albeit less consuming) you seem to be more obsessive over the issues.

Hi,

Thanks for suggesting that - I think you may be right.

I am not exactly sure how to identify OCD - but the CBT therapist I saw a couple of years ago did suggest it may be the case.

I am very much sticking my head in the sand at the moment - but I know I can't keep doing that......

Thanks again - I will look into it more

Quote Originally Posted by steve smith View Post
    Hello
    thanks for suggesting.
    SPAM BOT!

Thread Information