Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine so far

Fluoxetine so far

Today is week four on the 20mg fluoxetine so far all I have had is around 2 ok days other then that every day has been hell and a real struggle.

All I do is constantly worry and think about things which is why I got prescribed it along with 80mg propanol. I feel like I am sending myself crazy with all the worries I cannot control them which spirals fast into a panic of me thinking I'm never going to be normal again and I can't do this anymore.

I read lots and lots of posts about fluoxetine and worry it won't work for me but I'm trying to stick with it. I just think how can a tablet control my thoughts and worries I feel like it won't.

I have had three sessions of therapy so far but really only talked and answered questions so worry that's not going to help me either.
    Last edited by Avm; 01-02-17 at 07:40.

Re: Fluoxetine so far

Quote Originally Posted by Avm View Post
    I just think how can a tablet control my thoughts and worries I feel like it won't.
    The tablet won't. The brain changes it creates probably will.

You're unable to control your thoughts and worries because a part of the brain which does this is not working effectively due to the a loss of brain cells. Antidepressants (and therapy) reverse the decline.

thanks panic down under I have read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very educated on mental health and your replies really do help.

would you say after a month on flu I should see better results by now because I have had literally 2 good days

Too early yet and we are all different. Citalopram took 8 - 10 weeks to act on me and Fluox, we swapped to try and lift my mood, takes at least 5-6 weeks to get started.

Hang on in there, I was the same as you but slowly improved.

twould you say after a month on flu I should see better results by now
    Probably not.

because I have had literally 2 good days
    Antidepressants typically kick-in in two ways. For some it is a case of one step forward, followed by two back for a while. They begin to have the occasional good hour, or day followed by relapse, with the good hours/days becoming steadily more numerous over a week or so. For others it is an almost instant light bulb moment. They awaken into a bright new world. There is no way of knowing how it will be for you.

Is it normal to be so up and down on the fluoxetine iv had two more good days, yesterday and so far today but I have had therapy today so that might be hence why the good day so far today.

Is it normal to be so up and down on the fluoxetine
    Yes, as I wrote in my previous post. But it isn't necessarily all down to the drug. Anxiety levels may fluctuate wildly hour by hour, and/or day by day too, often without there being any obvious reasons for it.

Anxiety disorders can be weird, unpredictable beasts, so can the medications used to treat them. All part of the rich tapestry of life I guess.

when does anyone think I should contact the doctors about my meds? I have not really benefited from them at all yet but too scared to tell the doctors incase they straight away just change the tablets or increase the dose and I have to start from scratch :(?

Thanks

I have had two ok days and now I can feel that I'm going back to square one my worries and negative thoughts are going out of control again.

Its day 39(half way through week 5) on the Fluox and just hoping this is a blip. After speaking to the doctor on Monday and them saying if I want to up the dosage from 20mg to 40mg but I haven't I thought I would stick with the 20mg for a bit longer now wondering if I should.

Just don't know what to do and worrying I'm going back to square one and the fluox isn't the right med for me. Such a kick in the teeth after thinking I was getting better after the past 2 days

Just don't know what to do and worrying I'm going back to square one and the fluox isn't the right med for me.
    It is still too early to draw any conclusions, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information