Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol anxiety AGAIN!

Re: Alcohol anxiety AGAIN!

It might be best be refers you to a psychiatrist given the brain injury. I don't know if that has an impact on your anxiety, if it does then it makes sense it's too complicated for a GP as your needs differ to the average anxiety sufferer.

It's a well known, and statistically proven, fact that people with social anxiety are prone to self medicate with alcohol. That's why I'm wondering whether your GP views your case as complicated?

He obviously knows about the alcohol issue so is keeping an eye due to the meds which is good.

I wonder if a treatment aimed at PTSD would help you? Like EMDR?

Based on the OP's behavior and habits, benzos should be avoided.
    I think it's worth a try based on your pattern of binge drinking once every week or so and not drinking inbetween. In my experience the doc won't give many, then it's up to you how to manage them. I would suggest targeting one social event ever two weeks. You won't be given enough to use them any more frequently than that. But you mustn't drink and take the Vallium - it has to be Vallium only. Say 2mg an hour before the event plus up to 2*2mg during the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
    I think it's worth a try based on your pattern of binge drinking once every week or so and not drinking inbetween. In my experience the doc won't give many, then it's up to you how to manage them. I would suggest targeting one social event ever two weeks. You won't be given enough to use them any more frequently than that. But you mustn't drink and take the Vallium - it has to be Vallium only. Say 2mg an hour before the event plus up to 2*2mg during the event.
    Dave, with respect... The OP has demonstrated behaviors that illustrate a lack of self restraint. The drinking issue in conjunction with benzos could be hazardous to his well being.

I wish the best for the OP but IMO, gaining control of his drinking habit is the first step.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It might be best be refers you to a psychiatrist given the brain injury. I don't know if that has an impact on your anxiety, if it does then it makes sense it's too complicated for a GP as your needs differ to the average anxiety sufferer.

It's a well known, and statistically proven, fact that people with social anxiety are prone to self medicate with alcohol. That's why I'm wondering whether your GP views your case as complicated?

He obviously knows about the alcohol issue so is keeping an eye due to the meds which is good.

I wonder if a treatment aimed at PTSD would help you? Like EMDR?
    I saw a neuro phsycologist for a couple of years for counselling and ive seen a few different phsychiatriasts who have tried me on various medications that have never worked so i gave up on the idea for a few years i got sick ofdissapointment.about four months ago my girlfriend insisted i went to the doctors as i was getting worse so ive been on fluoxitine for about 4 months to see if that would work.ive given it long enough now i am going to cold turkey it next week.i never had anxiety before my brain injury i dont know if depression caused it or the anxiety created depression.he understands my alcohol use is a self medication thing but he's worried about my binge drinking affecting my liver i dont think he even believed me when i told him how much i drink in an average sitting.no one has ever discussed the ptsd thing with me

---------- Post added at 05:05 ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Dave, with respect... The OP has demonstrated behaviors that illustrate a lack of self restraint. The drinking issue in conjunction with benzos could be hazardous to his well being.

I wish the best for the OP but IMO, gaining control of his drinking habit is the first step.

Positive thoughts
    Hi thanks for the reply.if the valium worked in ridding me of anxiety i wouldnt need to drink alcohol

---------- Post added at 05:06 ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1 View Post
    Thanks dave ill discuss that with my gp because im going to come off the prozac this week so i will be going to see him

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 ----------

I would absoloutely love to be able to sit in the pub with all my mates and just drink pop

But have you tried increasing SSRI's or just sat on the minimum therapeutic dose? Some people have to try higher doses to find success or any help at all.

I would always advise against the cold turkey option. Some people can do it but others can't. Gradual reduction doesn't have to take too long and if your GP tried a similiar med they can cross taper or switch depending on the med (Fluoxetine needs a 7 day wash out period in that instance).

I was wondering about EMDR because your anxiety seems closely related to the scenario where the attack took place. So, I've assumed your social anxiety doesn't kick in outside of that? If that's true, I wonder whether a trauma based treatment could help? There is also trauma related CBT that is more specific. Plus EMDR has been used in GAD too, it's broadening out to other forms of anxiety but it's early days yet.

But have you tried increasing SSRI's or just sat on the minimum therapeutic dose? Some people have to try higher doses to find success or any help at all.

I would always advise against the cold turkey option. Some people can do it but others can't. Gradual reduction doesn't have to take too long and if your GP tried a similiar med they can cross taper or switch depending on the med (Fluoxetine needs a 7 day wash out period in that instance).

I was wondering about EMDR because your anxiety seems closely related to the scenario where the attack took place. So, I've assumed your social anxiety doesn't kick in outside of that? If that's true, I wonder whether a trauma based treatment could help? There is also trauma related CBT that is more specific. Plus EMDR has been used in GAD too, it's broadening out to other forms of anxiety but it's early days yet.
    Yes ive allways increased the dosages over periods of months ive tried paroxitine,citalopram,sertraline,escotalipram and a few others i cant remember.i think its time to give up on the meds route to be honest.ive read prozac has a long half life so its easier than most ssri to cold turkey off(i dont really understand it)im not fit or healthy i think if i pushed myself into that i would benefit more than from meds its just hard to get into after years of eating junk and gaining weight.a big part of my social anxiety is my self image and that is worse than ever at the moment.its not really based around the pub or the incident im anxious wherever i go now i rarely leave the house.thanks so much for the replies i appreciate it im going to put my ipad down now and see if i can get some sleep.it will be time to get ready to go to the races when i wake up and the cycle can start all over again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matylane View Post
    Yes ive allways increased the dosages over periods of months ive tried paroxitine,citalopram,sertraline,escotalipram and a few others i cant remember.i think its time to give up on the meds route to be honest.ive read prozac has a long half life so its easier than most ssri to cold turkey off(i dont really understand it)im not fit or healthy i think if i pushed myself into that i would benefit more than from meds its just hard to get into after years of eating junk and gaining weight.a big part of my social anxiety is my self image and that is worse than ever at the moment.its not really based around the pub or the incident im anxious wherever i go now i rarely leave the house.thanks so much for the replies i appreciate it im going to put my ipad down now and see if i can get some sleep.it will be time to get ready to go to the races when i wake up and the cycle can start all over again.....
    But isn't drinking counteracting the positive effects of the SSRIs? All these drugs warn that alcohol causes a detrimental effect. All say to limit or abstain from alcohol consumption. Something to consider.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yes my gp has explained this to me before but the momentary help i get from alcohol outways the benefits of meds.i did abstain from alcohol completely for about a year after my injury and i remember it being horrible not having my crutch but my surgeon stressed i couldnt drink.i would rather a few days of anxiety bedbound for a few days just for that few hours of being socially active.i cant work so basically the only time i go out is the pub

Maty,

I'm not sure on the counter effective side, at reasonable levels of alcohol they tend not to be but I wouldn't be confident about heavy drinking. Doctors are often fine with moderate drinking but I think it depends if the patient is in a good place, at least that's how I took my GP's decision over my request to drink on holiday.

I would say if you are ever offered the med I'm on, Duloxetine, make sure they fully understand your units because this med does carry a warning about heavy drinking & liver disease. I doubt they would consider it, but just in case...

What is certain though is that alcohol causes your Serotonin to spike, so you feel good. I suspect a part of that horrible few days many sufferers have comes from the reduction following the spike and the body using the nutrients it needs to build those Serotonin levels back up.

The down regulation effect of SSRI's would remain unaffected by that but it's about making enough Serotonin too otherwise the boosting effect it has by way of stimulating more Serotonin to be absorbed is not going to be happening to the same degree.

I suspect the heavier you hit the booze in a session, the more that gets amplified.

I was glad to hear your GP knew, sufferers have a habit of not being so open & honest. That's one step you got beyond and I think we should congratulate you on that!

Don't allow the odd person who disapproves push you off the forum. It's based on ignorance anyway. Admin have always opposed these individual views and promoted the forum as available to all.
    Please don't feel that you have to leave, also complaints about punctuation are totally out of order.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information