Thread: Solo, long haul flight for work - Anxious

Solo, long haul flight for work - Anxious

Hi everyone

I know there are a few threads about flying on here, but here's my problem.

I'm due to take a long haul flight from the UK to Ohio in April. It would be a 9 hour flight to Atlanta then straight on to boarding the internal 2.5 hr flight to Ohio.

Almost 12 hours travel in all, then the same going back 4 days later. The longest flight i've taken is just under 8 hours which i hated.

I have never flown on my own before and don't like flying. I am not actually scared of an accident occurring, it's more that I generally feel nauseous when travelling, especially by air, which makes my anxiety sky rocket (i am emetophobic) and i then struggle to breathe and start to feel trapped. As I am flying for work, this is an even bigger deal as I need to be professional and feel ok when I land...so taking anything which will make me really drowsy is a no no.

I have to fly economy class as my boss won't pay for any upgrade (it would cost twice as much from my research). so i am a bit stuck comfort-wise.

I was wondering has anyone travelled on their own, long haul before, and how did you get through it?? (preferably those who didn't need to use much in the way of meds??)

I have already decided I will need to see my GP to get something for the nausea... I last flew long haul in 2002 to New York with my family and felt rubbish both ways - couldn't eat or drink due to feeling sick.

Is there a way to get through the anxiety without heavy duty meds?

Thanks in advance

Carrie
    Last edited by Carrie8484; 06-02-17 at 14:55.

Re: Solo, long haul flight for work - Anxious

I also get nervous about flying, and 9 hours does seem like a long time.

My advice would be to break it down into chunks, and plan/visualise what you are going to do for the 9 hours.

0-1 Hours - Settle in, and listen to some relaxing music, or a favourite album. Eat some sweets.
    1-3 Hours - Watch a film.
    3-5 Play a game on your phone.
    5-6 Rest/Sleep
    6-8 Watch another film, or me on YouTube.
    8-9 More relaxing music and sweets.

Have you got someone who you can message/text on the flight there? I find having someone to talk to, or just get some positive vibes from is amazing help. You don't feel so alone or isolated.

Another piece of advice when I am struggling with anxiety... act like someone who does it all the time, and doesn't have anxiety. Sounds stupid but it works.

Last thing I would suggest is getting diazepam from your GP to take before. It will take the edge off, and will give you a relaxed feeling without the need for booze. They don't really cause drowsiness either.

Good luck Carrie!!

p.s logged in out of curiosity, and had to respond!

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I also get nervous about flying, and 9 hours does seem like a long time.

My advice would be to break it down into chunks, and plan/visualise what you are going to do for the 9 hours.

0-1 Hours - Settle in, and listen to some relaxing music, or a favourite album. Eat some sweets.
    1-3 Hours - Watch a film.
    3-5 Play a game on your phone.
    5-6 Rest/Sleep
    6-8 Watch another film, or me on YouTube.
    8-9 More relaxing music and sweets.

Have you got someone who you can message/text on the flight there? I find having someone to talk to, or just get some positive vibes from is amazing help. You don't feel so alone or isolated.

Another piece of advice when I am struggling with anxiety... act like someone who does it all the time, and doesn't have anxiety. Sounds stupid but it works.

Last thing I would suggest is getting diazepam from your GP to take before. It will take the edge off, and will give you a relaxed feeling without the need for booze. They don't really cause drowsiness either.

Good luck Carrie!!

p.s logged in out of curiosity, and had to respond!
    Brilliant advice Jason thanks!
    You better get making a tonne of new vids so i can line them up for the flight??!

I like the idea of breaking it down into chunks. And about acting like it's something i do all the time... good ideas.
    will maybe see about getting some good, calming music downloaded to help (i like a bit of classical when times get tough!) and some decent books.

Interesting about texting on flight - is this possible now? I am a dinosaur about technology and what is/isnt allowed!

I agree with SLA especially about acting like someone who does it all the time.

ive had anxiety real bad since 97 and also hate flying BUT i do find it easier flying alone

I'm not really afraid of flying either, but I did find that I got nauseous when I flew the last time, coincidentally I was flying over to the UK

On my overnight flight, I took a dramamine (sp). It helps with motion sickness and can make you a bit sleepy, so you can just sleep right through. No prescription required, either.

When I had to stay awake, I found that sucking on M&Ms really helped to settle my stomach. Ginger ale helps too.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thread Information