Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy soon

Colonoscopy soon

I am scheduled to have a colonoscopy in 8 days ( if I don't cancel due to anxiety). My fear is not the procedure itself. It is getting the results. It is a screening colonoscopy and I have no symptoms but I still have this irrational fear that something bad will be found. Does anyone else have this problem of being fearful of what you will hear after the procedure? I can't stop thinking about it.

Re: Colonoscopy soon

I had a colonoscopy and it was ok. They told me what they found (which was nothing) straight after.
    I think you're just going to have to be brave and try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know x

Well we are made from the same mold for sure. I have had 2 colonoscopies, and after the first one they found nothing. I just had another one a year later and they did remove a polyp. The doctor said that it was not cancer. They can tell a lot from seeing it. Everything has to be sent away, it is the law. I do have to wait for 4 weeks for final confirmation so I have been dealing with anxiety for sure. What I tell myself is that even if, then I will just take care of it. I also am challenging myself to trust my doctors, and if he said it wasn't cancer, then it ISN"T cancer. It is a constant battle, but you have to be firm with your mind because it will always go to a dark place. Self care is very important as well. Take time for yourself, go for a massage, buy something that will soothe you. You deserve it. It will all be ok.

I am going for a colonoscopy on 18th Feb. I had my pre assessment this morning. The nurse told me that the majority of them come back with nothing wrong.

Thank you for your replies. I know it's a very common procedure but I am still anxious about it. What was your preassesment for? I wasn't scheduled for one. They just gave me a prescription for th prep with written instructions. Good luck to you. I will repost after mine and report how it was.

I didn't have a pre assessment last time but did this time. They just checked my bloods and blood pressure and explained the procedure and prep to me. I am a lot more anxious today. I am getting so anxious that I think my bowels will probably empty without the prep!

I'm a GI patient (Crohn's) and get colonoscopies pretty much yearly. I never had a "preassessment" per say though I do see a GI regularly.

And no your bowels will not empty enough without the prep. You might think they are but until you have done a prep you will realize how wrong you are the test itself is nothing and you get a nice nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post

And no your bowels will not empty enough without the prep. You might think they are but until you have done a prep you will realize how wrong you are the test itself is nothing and you get a nice nap.
    Yes I know, I have had one before and know I need the prep, I was just trying to say how nervous I am It is actually the prep that scares me more than anything. Last time I had Fleet which was horrendous. Thankfully that is not used anymore and I am told the moviprep is not so bad but it still scares me after last time.

Luckily I have never had an enema. Here we use Pico salax which is the easiest prep. It's powder youix with 1 cup of water twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post
    Luckily I have never had an enema. Here we use Pico salax which is the easiest prep. It's powder youix with 1 cup of water twice.
    Yes the one they have given me is also a powder to mix with water so I guess it is similar to yours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information