Thread: Abnormal smear - again!

Abnormal smear - again!

hi, I havn't been back on the forum for a couple of months. I hope everyone is doing ok. Had my results back from a second smear and they want me to have a colposcopy, I know its kind of like having another smear and they look inside you, but does it hurt? are the biopsies painful? i'm trying so hard not to get anxious about this... in the past i've been worried about dying etc, but now i'm worried about not having children. i'm 26, had an ectopic last year and lost a tube (I'd had an IUD fitted at the time) the year before my ex gave me chlamydia and they think that was what caused the ectopic. I have always been responsible in terms of sexual health, getting myself checked out (hence the chlamydia diagnosis) always using contraception, but i feel as if everything has been beyond my control.

Re: Abnormal smear - again!

hi jess

i had an abnormal smear and had to go for further tests they took a biopsy and i didnt even know they had done it .
    it realy dosent hurt at all i have just been for my last smear at the hospital and havent got the results just yet but my doc sead even if there is somthing wrong unless you had full blown cancer whitch they would see when doing the smear they can treat it and the treatment is very good and works well i used to be very scared but now i know if there is somthing wrong there is somthing they can do about it and it just takes a few mins .
    the treatment they do for abnormal smears has no affect on you having children i dont think but you can ask the doc when you see when you go.

jodie x

Hi

Sorry to hear about this. I, too, had an abnormal smear 3 years ago. COuldnt believe it, I was so upset, why me!!

I had a colposcopy and he said I could wait to see if the cells reverted back to normal or I get rid of them there and then. I decided to get rid of them. The Doc injected me a couple of times into my cervix with local anaesthetic (which didnt hurt really) and then removed the cells using the hot wire method. Didnt feel a thing.

He was really nice and the nurse held my hand the whole way through. Yes, it was embarassing but us women have to go through all these things, flashing our bits and bobs!

I was so relieved when it was finished, I started crying and thanked the Doc for saving my life.

Now 3 years on, I go for smears every year and they have all been fine. Im confident that if one comes back abnormal, I can deal with the procedure again.

Please dont worry about fertility, the Doc said there is no effect, Im proof of this, Im 5 months pregnant!!!!!

Please take care and best of luck - Liz xx

thank you so much jodie and lizzie, thats so reassuring! xxx

Thread Information