Thread: supermarket horror

supermarket horror

Hi,

Ive just had a horrible experience at my local supermarket...in fact I may never venture into one again.

i was in getting some things for dinner at a particularly busy time (after school...big mistake). As 2 of my 3 children have been unwell all week I was running low on paracetamol/ibuprofen for their high temp/sore head/sore throat. as they are different ages I needed to buy childrens ibuprofen and also the same in tablet form and some paracetamol tablets (my 15 year old is looking like he might come down with it too.) This was all fine I thought. In fact I was quite proud of myself for being so organised and thinking ahead (not usually my strong point).

Till I was merrily packing my bags, only to hear an alarm sound. Then the assistant announced in a loud voice (in fact she definitely shouted..I'm sure of it) 'I cant sell you these...theyre restricted items...you cant buy more than 2'.

All 300 people in the shop were by this time looking at me waiting for my feeble excuse as to why I was buying THREE items for pain relief. Stupidly I tried to explain myself...but by this time I was a stuttering, blushing wreck. There may as well have been flashing neon signs above my head...I swear everyone stopped to see what I would do. Alarms ringing,shop assistants shouting..I suppose you cant blame them for looking. Im sure they all thought I was either obviously some sort of addict or clearly a terrible mother who feeds her kids a diet of paracetamol and ibuprofen. Then she announced in an equally loud voice that she would do me a favour..THIS TIME...and put it through as a separate transaction....whoopee...I just wanted to crawl back to my car. I did manage not to cry with humiliation...but i dont think I'll be able to face going in there for a while.

I'm sure I'll be able to laugh it off soon but right now I'm still burning with embarrasment. Its my worst nightmare being the centre of attention, especially for the wrong reasons. I think I'm even more embarrased with my response...I was a bumbling wreck who mustve looked guilty as anything...though of what I'm not sure. If I had just been supercool and not tried to explain maybe I couldve maintained some dignity.

Anyway sorry i know this is probably a pointless post but I just needed to 'share' my humiliation...or am I just being daft and oversensitive?

Coni x

Re: supermarket horror

No wonder you were a wreck!

This happened to my friend a couple of years ago.
    She doesnt suffer from panic and anxiety but she got so stressed about it.
    Did you get the name of the checkout person?
    If so I suggest you make a complaint.
    I go in our Asda and I will be honest all the staff are really polite and more than willing to help.
    But I go into another supermarket thats one of a big chain and if the checkout people smile at me Im convinced theyve got wind!

Take care
    LYNN xx

Oh Coni hun that must have been an awful experience for you I bet not one person in that shop noticed

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

Ok I have to share this if for no other reason then to show you that you aren't alone and to maybe make you giggle.
    My son Dan was still in diapers and had the flu horrible so I took him to the doc. Well me and docs don't mix so I was having panic before I ever stepped foot in the office so here I am sitting next to this woman with a briefcase (one of the ones that sell the prescriptions at doctors offices) dress to the nines (me in sweats and a tshirt)and Dan is playing on the floor in front of us.

He plops down on his butt and out the back of his diaper shoots poop up in the air and then back down on the lady's OPEN TOED shoe!!!

My husband then scoops up Dan and runs to the bathroom leaving me standing there appologizing like an idiot to a woman whose foot is covered in poo!!! Everyone in the place staring and the receptionist covering the floor with cat litter to soak some of it up!!!!!

It was horrible but my husband still laughs hysterically whenever it's mentioned!
    LOL

xxx
    Sandy

Hi guys, I know I'm overeacting but it was awful,

Lynn I didnt get her name, she was wearing a badge but to be honest I never checked...and I know she was probably just following procedure but she could have been more discreet...and the alarm...my god I almost expected to be arrested lol!

Sandy thanks for that it really cheered me up and made me giggle....good on your husband for making a quick getaway.

Manmoor, thanks for your reply and the hugs...I'm sure there were at least 300 pairs of eyes on me, you know like in comedies where everyone just stops and stares...

thanks again

Coni X

i am sure i would have died with embarrasment in all your positions but nothing could top the embarrasment my then 4 year old daughter caused me in my local co-op, standing in the line waiting to pay with about 3 people in front 3 behind and people at the next till the man at the front asked the checkout girl for a pack of plasters that were kept behind the tills and went on to explain that it was for a big cut so he wanted a pack that you cut yourself when my daughter piped up in a confident 4 year old know it all voice that mummy would also need a pack of plasters because her tinckle was bleeding. i am not sure who was the most embarrased and everything went deathly silent, i then had to stand there waiting to be served while nobody said a word except my daughter who chattered on obliviously. Another occasion in asda number 2 daughter had just got to the stage when she realised that boys and girls had different bits when for no reason at all she anounced at the tills that her daddy had a big willy, i was mortified and the cashier made a joke about the things kids say but i am sure i caught my husband grinning proudly like a chesire cat on the way out with his head held high (show off). you have to learn to be less sensitive when you have kids. LOL

Jacq x

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"

Yep I agree , My son asked me out loud why has that lady got a hairy moustache whilst standing in a que, poor woman blushed and so did I.

Thread Information