Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Withdrawal Symptoms from coming off Paroxetine!!

Withdrawal Symptoms from coming off Paroxetine!!

Hi Everyone

How are you doing ?? ... Me not great , feeling absolutely horrendous... I used to be on Paroxetine until Monday 30th , which was the last day ...

Well , I just don't know what to think, I didn't think it would be this bad ... I'm wondering if I have come of it to quickly , judging from what I read , you are meant to tapering off by 10% .

Is anyone else have come off or coming off their meds ? How did you feel , how long did the symptoms last for ?? ... What kind of side effects did you have..

TIA ...

Re: Withdrawal Symptoms from coming off Paroxetine!!

Quote Originally Posted by SHYGIRLAJB View Post
    I'm wondering if I have come of it to quickly
    Possibly. Paroxetine is one of the two antidepressants many find most difficult to quit. The problem is it has a very short half-life and no active metabolite so withdrawal symptoms can set in very quickly.

How much were you taking and how did you taper off, or did you just stop taking it? Was this done with your doctor's approval, or was it your idea?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Possibly. Paroxetine is one of the two antidepressants many find most difficult to quit. The problem is it has a very short half-life and no active metabolite so withdrawal symptoms can set in very quickly.

How much were you taking and how did you taper off, or did you just stop taking it? Was this done with your doctor's approval, or was it your idea?
    The mental health team and my Drs suggested decreasing my meds in 10mg intervals ... Here is a list ... The side effects whilst I was reducing the meds wasn't too bad ... Just feeling sick and some headaches ..

17/08/2016 - changed paroxetine to 50mg
    04/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 40mg
    11/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 30mg
    18/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 20mg
    25/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 10mg
    30/01/2017 Last paroxetine 10mg

Trouble is , I thought I was tapering off , but I don't know ... hmm

The side effects whilst I was reducing the meds wasn't too bad ... Just feeling sick and some headaches ..
    What symptoms are you having now?

17/08/2016 - changed paroxetine to 50mg
    04/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 40mg
    11/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 30mg
    18/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 20mg
    25/01/2017 Changed dose Paroxetine 10mg
    30/01/2017 Last paroxetine 10mg
    For most SSRIs this would be a reasonable taper, but for paroxetine I think dose reductions of only 5mg per week would have been better, especially for the final 20mg.

Hi! I'm tapering off Sertraline. I was on 100mg for over 10 years and it stopped working and the anxiety returned. I tapered down to 50mg which was quite difficult. Anxiety through the roof, emotional felt like I was losing my mind. Swapped psychs, who then increased me to 200mg, which I couldn't tolerate, so have tapered back down to 50 which was quite easy. After I got to 100, I tapered 12.5mg per week. All was good until I dropped under 50. Now I'm really feeling it again. Which sucks because I have actually been feeling quite good. Mainly feeling nauseas, a bit dizzy, increased anxiety and feeling a bit down. Trying to just remind myself that this will pass and too be patient with it. I kind of want to get it over and done with so think I will keep dropping weekly. Hope you start to feel better soon. You will get through this. Remember this is just your brain and body adjusting to not having that drug any longer. I guess the same way you have start up side effects when you start, then you have the same when you taper off. Not fun, but millions of other people have done it, so I'm sure we can make it too. Xx

What symptoms are you having now?

For most SSRIs this would be a reasonable taper, but for paroxetine I think dose reductions of only 5mg per week would have been better, especially for the final 20mg.
    The symptoms now , well they are just awful , worst I've ever had ... Feeling , dizzy , sick , more emotional, sweating etc , tummy totally upset , agitated, can't sleep, keep seeing things running across the table , sofa at the corner of my eye ... The aches and pains , they are so painful and can't get comfortable...

The symptoms now , well they are just awful , worst I've ever had ... Feeling , dizzy , sick , more emotional, sweating etc , tummy totally upset , agitated, can't sleep, keep seeing things running across the table , sofa at the corner of my eye ... The aches and pains , they are so painful and can't get comfortable...
    You could try going back onto a small dose - 5-10mg - of fluoxetine (Prozac) for a week followed by half for another week, then stopping. This should ease most of the side-effects, and because fluoxetine has a very long half-life, about 6 days for the drug itself and 16 for its active metabolite it is effectively self-tapering taking a couple of months to be completely metabolized and excreted. Your doctor may have samples s/he can give you. This is a common tactic for those finding quitting venlafaxine (Effexor) difficult. It can be even harder to quit than paroxetine.

Other that that all you can do is treat the symptoms, painkillers for the aches and pain, common remedies for the stomach issues, etc. The worst of these symptoms should begin diminishing soon.

OMFG , can't stand these symptoms anymore, so I decided to ring up my Drs to make an appointment, well... There are none available for at least 2 weeks ., that is to see anyone.. My dr said you have to ring up each day at 8:30am and that doesn't guarantee you an appointment.. I mentioned to the receptionist that my dr said she will ring me .. Have to wait as my dr isn't at work today ...

There are none available for at least 2 weeks ., that is to see anyone
    Surely they leave a few slots available each day for urgent cases. I suggest you try again and explain this is an emergency. If this still gets you nowhere try A&E at the nearest hospital.

Surely they leave a few slots available each day for urgent cases. I suggest you try again and explain this is an emergency. If this still gets you nowhere try A&E at the nearest hospital.
    Will have to wait until Monday now.. I won't go to A&E as it's not as if I'm going to harm myself or what not ...They are stretched enough and I don't fancy sitting in a crowded room for 4 hours or so ... I'm socially awkward and I don't do crowded places as it will cause great anxiety ..

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Thanks all for replying , I'm stressed out and I'm venting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information