Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to go doctors asap?

Unhappy Need to go doctors asap?

Hi. I have been suffering with social anxiety and depression for a while now. I haven't been diagnosed by a GP as even the thought of going near the doctors gives me panic attacks. I suffer from panic attacks daily, I avoid going out even to the shop, distanced myself from all of my friends, don't even answer the phone to them anymore. Physical throw up when I get nervous or have the runs. Just don't want to get out of bed lately because of this. Constantly feel like I can't breath and go dizzy. Feel sick when I leave the house. Haven't got anybody to talk to about this as I am only 20 and don't want people to think I'm faking it. I just want to feel normal again and I know the only way to do that is to visit the doctors, but as I cant speak to strangers without having panic attacks and stuttering I would not know how to tell them, any advice would be helpful? Thanx

Re: Need to go doctors asap?

Welcome to NMP. Perhaps ask either your Mum or Dad to go with you?

Hi Erin,

Welcome to NMP!

I hope you find some good support here - there's other young girls here - maybe someone could private message you to help you out?

But I just want to say that sometimes I get very nervous visiting the doctor too. This is how I tackle it: I like to book an appointment online as I find doctor's receptionists are difficult sometimes to talk to. I like it because I can be calm and take my time. Also the online form gives me the choice of sex of the doctor and a chance to write a brief description of why I'm visiting.

If you book by phone or in person, then you need to prepare what you want, otherwise you could get brow-beaten by the receptionist into something you don't want. They may ask what the reason for your visit is. If you don't want to say you can say 'it's personal'. This is an acceptable reply that they understand.

Then, before my visit, I prepare a list of all the points I want to tell the doctor, and then work out the most logical order to say them in, then I rehearse saying it before I go. And I take my list of points with me in case I need it. On the day I prefer to check-in using the touch-screen instead of speaking to the receptionist. And I take along my favourite newspaper to read in the waiting area to calm me down. Personally doing the Sudoku calms me most.

Good luck!

Edit: And welcome to insomniacs anonymous too

Hi thanks for the reply didn't think I would get one this late, my mum works full time so she doesn't get any time off and I have no relationship with my dad. My doctors do not have online booking which would have been perfect, I haven't visited the doctors since I was about 9 or been to a hospital since I was about 5 when I had an op. Even the though of going scares me as I know sick people will be there which will also give me panic attacks, I have thought about writing what I want to say down but feel as though I would be reading a script and they might not believe me? Thanks for your replys

---------- Post added at 03:49 ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 ----------

Also suduko is my favourite too! And I do find it relaxes me also love colouring books!

Most doctors surgeries offer telephone consultations also, so that's another option.

Hi Erin,
    I first went to the doctors about my possible anxieties and MDD when I was 15, and had the same issues as you, my dad was working and my mum was babysitting my niece so I had to go alone, the best way to do it is the same way I used for everything(even coming out) write everything down on paper, and the GP know you're having anxiety/panic attack issues then let them read it, it might feel silly or weird but it worked for me and my gp prefered it because I managed to get all my worries down without missing anything x

All the best

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Hi Erin

There's some really good advice there from Aiden, Matt and Dave. All I would add is the first time I went to the doctors with anxiety I was in a right mess. Shaking, could hardly speak etc, etc. The GP however was brilliant and seeing me in such a state was probably the best thing that could have happened. GP's are really used to seeing this type of thing and just letting a doctor know how bad I was feeling made me feel immediately better. The doctor may prescribe something to help you and put you in touch with counseling etc. I wish I'd known about writing stuff down beforehand that would have really helped. You could always just hand over the note to the doctor or read from it yourself. Although speaking to receptionists can be scary they are also totally used to dealing with people in this state. Or ask your mum to phone on your behalf. Good luck and go for it. The longer you leave it the harder it becomes.

I'm sure your Mum would be able to get some time off work to come with you to the GP, Erin? What's more important than looking after the health of a loved one? It wouldn't involve a huge amount of time and you really need the moral support from someone you love and trust..

I agree with Pulisa,
    my partner took time off to go with me to an appointment, when its a loved one its important, i'm sure a family member or friend can take the time to go with you x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Hi guys thanks for your reply it is calming the thought of going the doctors I think I'll get my mum to phone for me tomorrow. Also what can doctors do to help? What was your experiences going the doctors? Does medication work? Will the prescribe meds straight away or do you have to visit them a couple of times? Thanks x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information