Thread: Any link at all to omeprazole and increased anxiety/panic attacks?

Any link at all to omeprazole and increased anxiety/panic attacks?

Hey guys

Really interested to get peoples opinions on this(if anyone has any experience with it).

Mid Jan I got these to help with indegestion as it was also causing palpatations. Seemed to help at start but my general day to day anxiety has increased and I am on edge a lot more(twitching muscles and verge of panic attack a lot). You know when you can feel in your body your taking something?

This maybe totally unrelated, and just my anxiety is at its worse but the cross over and constant increased feelings of anxiety (usually came in bouts or when I was ill mainly) is something i havent had for a long while so I do wonder if there is any link? I never even thought anything about it til I thought of the timescale.

Any help or insight would be brill

Re: Any link at all to omeprazole and increased anxiety/panic attacks?

I take lansaprozole (the same thing really) and have done for 3 years.

There are reports that pills like this, because they reduce the creation of stomach acid which is needed to break down nutrients and vitamins, can reduce the consumption of things like vitamin b12, which in turn can cause anxiety and a variety of "symptoms".

However, if this happens at all, it only happens after a long period of taking the PPI (protien pump inhibitor) so you taking them since mid Jan means its almost impossible for this to be happening to you.

The symptoms you are experiencing are almost certainly psychosomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by D Ray Morton View Post
    Hey guys

Really interested to get peoples opinions on this(if anyone has any experience with it).

Mid Jan I got these to help with indegestion as it was also causing palpatations. Seemed to help at start but my general day to day anxiety has increased and I am on edge a lot more(twitching muscles and verge of panic attack a lot). You know when you can feel in your body your taking something?

This maybe totally unrelated, and just my anxiety is at its worse but the cross over and constant increased feelings of anxiety (usually came in bouts or when I was ill mainly) is something i havent had for a long while so I do wonder if there is any link? I never even thought anything about it til I thought of the timescale.

Any help or insight would be brill

Mostly likely it's from the bloating or indigestion you probably still have on occasions? Anyway if that's the case, then all that can screw with your breathing and throw it off making you feel like it's harder to breath properly. Which then can stress you out and cause increased anxiety.

I go through this when I eat too much or eat the wrong foods that I'm not suppose to eat with my GERD. The pantoprazole I take helps for the most part, but not always, so when I get like that I take a Tums as added supplement to get all that wind out or get rid of the indigestion. And then I'll notice my intense anxiety fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Colicab85 View Post
    I take lansaprozole (the same thing really) and have done for 3 years.

There are reports that pills like this, because they reduce the creation of stomach acid which is needed to break down nutrients and vitamins, can reduce the consumption of things like vitamin b12, which in turn can cause anxiety and a variety of "symptoms".

However, if this happens at all, it only happens after a long period of taking the PPI (protien pump inhibitor) so you taking them since mid Jan means its almost impossible for this to be happening to you.

The symptoms you are experiencing are almost certainly psychosomatic.
    Thanks for reply, funny you said about b12 as I had a b12 deficiancy a few years ago with quite similar symptons but from your post a month would be too soon.

I agree with Colicab85. I also take a PPI (Pantoprazole 40mg 1x daily) and I've been on it since Aug or Sept. No issues so far. My dad took PPI's for years and had no side effects. It may just be your anxiety ramping up in general, regardless of the med.

I took omeprazole for 3 months and had constant panic attacks that went away when I stopped. I also know one other person with no history of panic attacks who went to A&E multiple times with panic attacks while taking omeprazole. My online research revealed similar stories.

From the professional section of Drugs.com:

Psychiatric
    Common (1% to 10%): Insomnia
    Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Agitation, confusion/reversible mental confusion, depression, aggression, hallucinations
    Postmarketing reports: Anxiety, apathy, nervousness, dream abnormalities, psychiatric and sleep disturbances[Ref]

Confusion, agitation, aggression, depression, and hallucinations occurred predominantly in severely ill or elderly patients.

Not to mention how it affects hair, nails and skin. You won't find that in the list of common side effects though.

Thread Information