Thread: I am in the middle of my 4th attack of DP/DR...

I am in the middle of my 4th attack of DP/DR...

...and before today I didn't even know that this feeling had a name so I feel pretty good now, in a detached and dreamlike way obviously.

I have had four episodes of anxiety over the past 7 years (fourth one right now) and they have all had, as their main symptom, a feeling of not existing in the physical world. My own house seems unfamiliar to me. It's made even weirder now because I have just started a new job and so feel doubly detached. Also my dreams get very weird when I have anxiety and DP/DR - I tend to have hyper realistic dreams which kind of merge into my waking hours. Also, I can sleep for hours and still feel tired. Plus, a lot of my dreams become, how shall I say it, sexy. Not sure if that is typical!

My other DP/DR and anxiety attacks have all gone almost as quickly as they arrive so I am hoping that this one will, too. Either way, I'm just glad to find out that this has a name and is a recognised thing!

T

Re: I am in the middle of my 4th attack of DP/DR...

hey sorry to hear you're going through this again. I've had it for about 4 months now after a panic attack and have been on an SSRI with no help. I just recently got prescribed Clonazepam and it works wonders, it probably brings me back to 90% my normal self. What works for you?

It sounds like your DPDR is caused by anxiety. It will slowly fade once you get gradually less anxious, so just stay strong.

I get the exact same feelings. My own home and even people around me don't feel real,and to make matters worse,these feelings are paired with me feeling unreal. I've had dp for as long as I've had anxiety and benzos are the only medication that actually helps. Saying that,they aren't a permanent solution as they're addictive.
    Staying focused and distracted helps as does exercise and spending time doing what you love with the people you care about.

Thread Information