Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart concerns

Heart concerns

I'm a newbie, I came here from Anxiety Zone. Ever since my Dad had a major heart attack back in 2008, I've had major health anxiety, with cardio fears ruling my anxiety. My family on both sides have extensive heart disease which doesn't help matters.

Long story short, I've been through quite a few cardio test. In 2008 I did several EKGs, an echo, and wore a 24 hour monitor. All it found was tachycardia. My doctor put me on Lexapro and I've just dealt with it the best I can over the years.

My main symptoms are an obsession with my heart rate, general tightness in my chest area that comes and goes, shortness of breath, and sharp, stabbing pains that come and go. I will say, in the past two years, I've gained lots of weight, about 60lbs. The symptoms seem to have gotten worse since then.

I lose my breath so easily, and then I sit here yawning and trying to catch up. The slightest physical activity makes my heart race, and then the tightness follows. Changing positions in bed, bending over, etc. My heart just pounds. I can go days and feel like I'm not breathing deeply enough.

Last year, my doctor commented on my consistently high heart rate. She put me on a beta blocker and I take 10mg twice a day now. She did an EKG which was normal. She sent me to a cardiologist and my EKG there was normal. They reviewed my tests from 2008 and didn't see an immediate need to repeat them, but due to my family's history, they want me to start going once a year for a cardio checkup.

I'm on here today because I'm now in day 3 of a rapid heartbeat, not feeling like I'm breathing deeply, and general tightness in my chest. It's really scaring me, because on top of that, I've just been feeling tired and rundown lately. Like no energy to do anything.

Could all these tests be wrong? Could there be something majorly wrong that the doctors are missing? This could also be freaking me out because a co-worker just died of a heart attack at only 32 and I just turned 30 myself. I will say since starting the beta blocker, my blood pressure is consistently 115/70ish and my heart rate, no matter how fast it feels, is typically in the 70-80bpm range.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Perfect example. Just had to walk around the corner to pick something up at work. Not strenuous at all but when I sat down my heart was pounding. Took me a minute to catch my breath, and my chest feels super tight. Just checked my pulse and it's 66bpm. Why do I feel this way if my heart isn't actually racing?

Re: Heart concerns

If you're not exercising, I would recommend starting a routine - slowly at first, until you're comfortable to move further. I used to feel like my heart was pounding often, also with little physical activity. I started walking at least once a day and being generally more active. Now I can walk longer, climb more stairs, and do more things without feeling the way you describe.

I've also dealt with cardiac fears. I've had an episode of afib before, and there was no mistaking it for anxiety or other benign issues. It was very obvious. It was triggered by GERD - subsequent echo and stress test revealed no underlying issues. Heart is perfectly fine. It's definitely possible that you're simply out of shape and anxious, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hbug2416 View Post
    Why do I feel this way if my heart isn't actually racing?
    Well... being that you're posting on an anxiety forum, I think you know the answer There's nothing in your post that indicates an issue.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I've been feeling a little dizzy lately, too. Especially when first standing up, and if I'm walking for a bit. Maybe dizzy isn't the right word... unsteady on my feet?

Also, a few nights recently, I've like stopped breathing as I'm drifting off to sleep. It causes my heart to really race and I'm literally gasping for air. This has happened 2 or 3 times in the past few weeks.

Are y'all sure I shouldn't be worried? I do have checkups scheduled with both my GP and cardiologist in April.

Hi

My dad had a major heart attack when I was 12 and we almost lost him. His family have heart problems (grandfather and uncle also had heart attacks). I suffer from anxiety issues and recently I've been plagued woth heart worries like you.

I had an ecg the other week and going for a 24 hour monitor next week.

I'd say to trust your doctor but have a chat with them about your concerns. It sounds like you are suffering from anxiety (just like my doc thinks I am) which is causing your cardio symptoms.

All the best

I have heart disease. Two heart attacks, bypass and stents as well as angina.

Tests show it "." (period!) You have anxiety and are experiencing the real physical benign symptoms.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I have heart disease. Two heart attacks, bypass and stents as well as angina.

Tests show it "." (period!) You have anxiety and are experiencing the real physical benign symptoms.

Positive thoughts
    Would EKG or blood work show angina? I was at ER the other day and had another EKG and blood work ran ( last one was Jan of last year) . I talked with the doctor some. He said my blood work came back fine that I'm probably the healthiest in the room out of him me , and 4 other people that was there with me. He really did talk up my numbers on my blood work. Said my pains are not cardiac related and with numbers like that I will never experience a blockage or cad ( not saying never as in it can't happen of my numbers get worse but with how my numbers are right now if they stayed around the same ). He said he's seen people's blood you can actually see the fat in it. Which made me feel good but I still get chest pains.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzxt27 View Post
    Would EKG or blood work show angina? I was at ER the other day and had another EKG and blood work ran ( last one was Jan of last year) . I talked with the doctor some. He said my blood work came back fine that I'm probably the healthiest in the room out of him me , and 4 other people that was there with me. He really did talk up my numbers on my blood work. Said my pains are not cardiac related and with numbers like that I will never experience a blockage or cad ( not saying never as in it can't happen of my numbers get worse but with how my numbers are right now if they stayed around the same ). He said he's seen people's blood you can actually see the fat in it. Which made me feel good but I still get chest pains.
    Yes. EKGs show angina because it is a specific pathological process where the heart does not get enough oxygen.
    Last edited by PASchoolSyndrome; 17-02-17 at 18:32.

You don't have angina at 30... you just don't! Nor do you have any other cardiac related issue. Please trust the doctors. Consider therapy as well to help cope with the irrational fears and thoughts.

Positive thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by PASchoolSyndrome View Post
    Yes. EKGs show angina because it is a specific pathological process where the heart does not get enough oxygen.

I would work on some anxiety techniques - and it's great that you're blood was good! Gaining that much weight though, along with anxiety, could absolutely explain your symptoms if the doctor didn't find any actual cause. Try switching up your diet and exercise routine and see if that helps any bit.
    Maybe you misread or I miss worded something lol. I actually didn't gain any weight. I've lost some pounds if anything. My diet sucks I told him that he's like most of its hireditary. And some people can have great numbers all their life's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information