Thread: Constant swallowing of saliva

Constant swallowing of saliva

Hello everyone, I've suffered with this for a couple months. I constantly have to swallow saliva because I feel some kind of feeling in my throat. Is there anyway to get rid of this. There are certain times in the day when I'm fine and sometimes it's very bad. Any help? Also I've been very anxious about this lately

Re: Constant swallowing of saliva

Hello Theonlyone. The term of feeling something in your throat is termed "Globus" but there are things that can cause globus ranging from stress to cricopharyngeal spasms, to GERD. I have been having a sensation of constantly swallowing which then causes a lump feeling in my throat. I try not to swallow but when I do need to I try to drink water or tea. Reason being is if you constantly swallow just your saliva you are causing more constriction on your throat muscle thus causing the feeling of a lump.
    Last edited by Happyman168; 20-02-17 at 00:40.

Re: Constant swallowing of saliva

Hi I too have had this before. I have also really been worried by it. I have emetophobia too so anything linked with nausea or sickness is my nemesis. I struggled with this saliva thing a few years ago and can still get it sometimes now. It wasnt anything serious and mine was all put down to anxiety. We tend to focus on normal bodily sensations and activities that other people dont do. Like you are aware of your breathing heartbeat or swallowing. The sensations are normal but you dont normally register them at all. This leads to a viscious cycle. I find sucking mints or chewing gum and sipping water really helpful. It gives your mouth and throat a job and the strong mint flawour takes your mind off sensations. It is horrid but I am sure will pass.

Thread Information