Thread: Urine test question

Urine test question

Hi all,
    I am a regular visitor to this site just don't post very often but often find it a comfort to my never ending health anxiety!

Since around last September I have been noticing strange things in my urine, started with noticing black very very think flakes floating in my otherwise clear looking urine.. really freaked me out ever since I've noticed the odd black bit occasionally at the bottom of the loo and been obsessed. Just after xmas inhad an increase in frequency and noticed blood on the tissue!! Nothing visible in the loo.. just dots on the tissue. This happened 3 x in totally
    All a few days apart the last time being a tiny tiny single dot with a little black bit next to it.. i finally went to the doctor terrified something awful
    Is going on.. I've been to the doctor 3x over the last month had 3 different urine tests all clear of anything and blood tests all normal.. on the last one they sent my urine to the lab. When I rang for results the woman said all normal
    No further action then she said yes normal level of red blood cells..hence my posting and stress does anyone know, I thought normal was zero red blood cells? The same sample with the dipstick was clear now I'm worried about there being blood the doctors don't seem to be concerned and aren't helping too much I'm just so worried tho. I'm 36 and never had so much as a UTI previoisnto this!

Re: Urine test question

Double check that the black specs aren't from your toilet. I have a good feeling they might be.

Also, could you be menstruating? There is a small threshold of RBCs in the urine that is considered normal, technically, with the absence of menses.

If the doctor's aren't concerned then you shouldn't be.

I have C fears and last year about this time the found trace (3) RBCs in a routine UA and although lower, was seen again on a follow up test, I flipped and my Dr to appease me and clear my mind sent a sample in for in depth analysis (spectroscopy I believe it was called) and all came back normal.

Perhaps you can talk to your Dr about that?

But yes, seeing RBCs in UA is normal apparently as long as there isn't a lot

Ive been through some incredible stuff in my life, some of it was even real.

-SC

Thanks for your response.

They definitely aren't from my toilet.. happened too many times and I always check the toilet is spotlessly clean before I go, even the doctor seemed clueless. I'm very concerned it's old blood.

I'm still breastfeeding my 12 month old and my periods have not yet returned so I don't know why I'd have any level of rbc in my urine.. what I don't understand is that when she put the dipstick in the sample she sent off she said there's absolutely nothing in it.. same as the previous two times. Yet the receptionists said doctor reported normal level of rbc from lab. She couldn't give me any information. She was very nice and said i should not worry but has got me a phone appointment tomorrow evening so the doctor can explain things. I'm so nervous, I've read 0-4 can be considered normal if she states it's higher than this I will worry even more!so tired of worrying about this and feeling scared every time in wee for fear of what I'll see!

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

What I don't understand is that the same ole sent off not even a trace was detected on the dipstick test of the same sample.. I thought these dipsticks tended to give more false positives than anything.
    Thank you.. I plan to ask just to help me if they will send another sample off to check.

Thread Information