Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you be prescribed clonazepam if you don't get panic attacks?

Re: Can you be prescribed clonazepam if you don't get panic attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    I'm unaware of any evidence that promethazine has any specific anti anxiety properties beyond sedation.

Hydroxyzine is also a reasonably potent serotonin 5-HT2a receptor antagonist which probably produces its anxiolytic properties (it also blocks α1-adrenergic and dopamine D2 receptors which may also play a role). Other 5-HT2a antagonists that are effective anxiolytics are quetiapine and trazodone.

Good!
    Yeah i've tried promethazine with codeine, you know the cough syrup? I genuinely had a medical reason for having it but then when I didn't need it anymore, I had a little with my sleeping tablets because it worked so well in sedating me. It may not be the best for anxiety, but it certainly helped me sleep when I had anxious thoughts causing insomnia. Unfortunately codeine/promethazine is addictive and didn't want to have it very often. But when I need a little help sleeping it does the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzii342 View Post
    Unfortunately codeine/promethazine is addictive and didn't want to have it very often. But when I need a little help sleeping it does the trick!
    The otc antihistamine diphenhydramine (*Benadryl) can also be used for occasional insomnia. It also has some anti anxiety properties, though it is not as effective as hydroxyzine.

* the antihistamine in Benadryl differs in some countries, and/or in some formulations. I understand that in the UK Benadryl usually contains either acrivastine or cetirizine. Both are non sedating antihistamines, but there may be some formulations containing diphenhydramine so ask your chemist/pharmacist.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    The otc antihistamine diphenhydramine (*Benadryl) can also be used for occasional insomnia. It also has some anti anxiety properties, though it is not as effective as hydroxyzine.

* the antihistamine in Benadryl differs in some countries, and/or in some formulations. I understand that in the UK Benadryl usually contains either acrivastine or cetirizine. Both are non sedating antihistamines, but there may be some formulations containing diphenhydramine so ask your chemist/pharmacist.
    Funny you should mention that! Had the last of my codeine the other night and took some benadryl, slept like a baby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information